Logo

Yamaha tachometer and speedometer failure

S

seacraft21

" I have a 1989 Yamaha 200 and

" I have a 1989 Yamaha 200 and recently the digital speedometer and tachometer stopped operating. Does anyone have any ideas on why, or where I can get a manual on their operation or testing? "

" seacraft,

I know nothing

" seacraft,

I know nothing about the engine you are talking about, but I have a few ideas:

The key to this, I think, is to figure out what your speedometer and tach have in common, determine where the signal comes from:

If they bothe are getting a signal from the engine, then start by making sure that if they get power/ground from somewhere other than the wiring harness that the power/ground is there; check all connections from the speed/tach back to the engine and troubleshoot there etc.. etc.. this will probably require a service manual on the engine.

If the "sending unit" for the speedometer is located on the transom of the boat; there will be a tube running up to the speedometer. In this case I think the only thing that your tach and speedometer should have in common is a power supply. Figure out where the power supply (and/or ground) is coming from and you should find a bad connection there.

Jon "

" Check yellow wire from key s

" Check yellow wire from key switch to gauges for 12 volts. Also look for any signs of water in the gauges, these seem to be my biggest problem with these type of gauges. "

" I had a similar problem with

" I had a similar problem with a 92 225 Yamaha, I could turn the ignition key just a little past the run position and the guages would go to working , the ignition switch was bad. "

Back