Logo

150hp v6 mariner 1989 model

B

bob c

Just had motor checked at a d

Just had motor checked at a daeler they said all was within limits. Was running at mid speed when the motor started to over rev. shut it down and now have no power to prop.

" Bob,
It sounds like the mot

" Bob,
It sounds like the motor starts and runs but does not turn the prop. First make sure that the prop is good. The bushing may be spun.

If it is pumping water, then the driveshaft is turning. There may be a problem with the shift linkage, shift rod, shift cable, maybe the control box. There also may be a problem in the lower unit itself.

Tony "

Thanks tony Its seems that it

Thanks tony Its seems that it may be in the control box the motor starts and runs fine but it doesn't engage forward or reverse

" Well it looks like its in th

" Well it looks like its in the lower unit, shaft doesn't seem to engage or the gear is stripped, does anyone know where I can get an exploded view of this motor? "

" Bob..... The "Mariner&#3

" Bob..... The "Mariner" engine is not my line of expertise, however your problem is a common fault that many engines encounter. I have seen many driveshafts break at a point just below the water pump area... in which case the water pump operates just fine but nothing turns below that point. If your water pump is operating normally, do this..... with the rig out of the water on a trailer, jam the prop with a 2x4 between the prop and the cavitation plate, put the engine in gear, turn the flywheel nut and watch the prop nut. If the nut DOES NOT turn, the driveshaft is broken as explained above. If the prop nut DOES turn but the prop DOES NOT... the hub in the prop has failed, in which case either purchase a new prop or have that one rehubed. Hope this helps you somewhat. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

" Bob,

You should be able t

" Bob,

You should be able to view parts blow-ups at www.mercurymarine.com. Mariner and Mercury are essentially the same engine. You will need a serial number.

The clutch dogs on these engines are very dependable because of the way they are designed. It's almost impossible for them to slip. A stripped gear would have made some noise.

If you are sure the prop is good and the box and cables are working properly, and the driveshaft passes the test as Joe describes, there must be a problem with the shift rod.

I would pull the lower unit and turn the lower shift rod and see if gears engage.

Tony "

" Thanks to everyone for the h

" Thanks to everyone for the help, turns out it is the driveshaft, it broke just above the pinon gear, awful expensive I wish I knew what caused it. "

Back