Logo

Whe Are NADA Book Prices For Used Outboard Engines So Far Below What People Are Charging For Them

M

Mr. Jones

"I have been pricing used outb

"I have been pricing used outboard motors, both on Ebay and in several newspapers of 100,000+ population. I tried to get a baseline price to judge each engine by looking the model up; online at this N.A.D.A. pricing engine.

http://www.landbigfish.com/nada.cfm

In almost every case, the amount N.A.D.A. says a motor is worth is only 20% (1/5th) to 33% (1/3rd) of what the motors sell for every day on Ebay and in the paper. N.A.D.A. is known for being pretty accurate in car prices. How can they be so undervalued on outboard motors as to be virtually worthless?"

" Hi,

I've wondered tha

" Hi,

I've wondered that myself, but I don't think it's as extreme as 20% to 30% of what they sell for. Ebay is expensive for outboards, and the papers/want ads are often filled with dreamers. The last two engines I've bought have been a little over or under, but I do go to great lengths to find the right deal.

I think the price has much to do with what area one lives in; I'm from NH, and the ouboards (used in want ads etc. ) from MA tend to be much more than the ones you find from ME. One thing that I've heard though is "it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

Jon "

" Along the same line, a motor

" Along the same line, a motor from the shore of Florida's Gulf Coast wouldn't bring as much as the same motor from the shore of Lake Ontario. Northern fresh water motors simply don't get used/abused in the same way or as much as a southern salt water motor. Northern motors have a short season, and inland motors run in fresh water. Coastal motors have all of the issues related to salt water and the further south you go, the longer the season, hence more use.

Another side of that is value to the buyer. If a buyer is looking at paying a couple grand for a new 20hp Merc and he can by a lightly used, well maintained 30-year old Merc 20hp for 1/3 of the price, why not? If he's going to use it as an everyday motor to commute to a job site, he might want to spend the extra bucks for the new motor, but maybe he's only going to use it to head out to his favorite fishing spot a half dozen times a summer - then the older motor sounds a lot better.

It's all a matter of perspective....
- Scott "

" nada is way off. Iknow my 87

" nada is way off. Iknow my 87 200 yamaha is in great cond. perfect comp. looks good . runs good and nada says its worth 1,200.00 the market in s.w. fla. shows sellers getting 2,500.00 to 3,000.00 all day long. do an average from the boat trader,local news paper,internet.you can lookat the classified in any paper in the world. by going to search engine ask jeeves .com then type in news papers then the state. or go to www. traderonline. then select boat trader. good luck Norm "

Back