Logo

OMC Special tools for disassembling powerhead

jdkline

Regular Contributor
" No specific #s in front of m

" No specific #s in front of me, but you guys who are old hands at it will probably recognize the flywheel puller, and a tool for removing and installing pins in the pistons. I don't need this stuff right away, I just had a head gasket replaced and had to have the mechanic do it. I just wonder for future reference where I might obtain these tools and how much I might expect to pay for them. If you all need me to be more specific, I can get the OMC #s from my Clymer manual. I appreciate any of you guys' help. "

"Jdkline.... The regular OMC s

"Jdkline.... The regular OMC special tools that you're referring to are really up there price wise. There is a company in Orlando that makes special tools for various companies such as OMC, Mercury, etc..... Bob Kerr's Marine Tool Company. Fax 407-656-8633, or 1-800-867-4807. I've lost track of exactly what they make but it's a bunch!

Also, you might want to check your local auto part stores. Many of them have pullers that may be shaped slightly different but operate on the same principle.... A screw in center stud with a proper head to be hit with a hammer, assortment of screws to fit the various flywheel threaded holes, etc. And they also have a punch set that accepts various shoulder type heads for knocking out pins. Should be fairly reasonable.

Note.... the older OMC w/pins were a pressed fit, requiring heat to remove, but for many years now the w/pins are simply a floating w/pin that requires very little pressure to remove or install.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" just want to add one thing t

" just want to add one thing the the above , I found that working on outboards the use of angle open end wrenches are definitley a must at least for me. "

" One place to check out for O

" One place to check out for OMC specialty tools would be a company by the name of Precision Mfg.&Sales Co., Inc. Their website is www.precisionmfgsales.com . They have alot more than just tools, i just received their new catologue and am getting ready to order from them for my own company. "

"Nt.... I agree. I've deal

"Nt.... I agree. I've dealt with Precision (Jim) for a few years. Excellent company.

Joe
"

Back