Logo

Wiring for early b60bs Johnson 40hp

J

Jim Holifield

" I have what I believe is a 1

" I have what I believe is a 1960 Johnson 40hp with electric start; the motor has a four-wire harness/plug and I have no idea what wire goes to what (ignition key, tach, etc.). I do not have the other end of the plug. Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Jim "

"Jim.... I worked on those eng

"Jim.... I worked on those engines when they were almost new, but I can not place exactly what you're speaking of when you refer to that four (4) wire harness/plug. Elaborate on it somewhat if you will. Is this the instrument cable at the at the ignition switch end you're speaking of? What colors are the wires within the cable, etc etc. Go into a little more detailc.

Joe
"

" Joe---

The motor's mo

" Joe---

The motor's model number is RDS-23, which I think makes it a '61. It says "Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse" on the cover. The wiring consists of: two battery cables, two wires which are capped-off (a tan wire marked "3" and a blue wire marked "4"), and a group of four wires ending in a flat, white plastic connector. The wires at each end of the connector are black and the two wires in the middle are brown and tan, respectively. My guess is that they are the wires that go to the ignition switch. Thanks for the help.
Jim "

"Jim.... You are correct. The

"Jim.... You are correct. The engine is a electric start 1961 40hp Johnson. The white plastic or nylon connector you speak of is a connector that would normally be concealed within what is called a junction box. The two black wires would be the ones that go to each set of points and to the "M" terminals of the ignition switch. Normally there would be a "Blue" wire and a "Yellow" wire (if memory serves me right) that would connect to a generator if so equipped (any chance that capped off "Tan" wire is actually yellow?)

I don't have that wiring diagram and it's difficult to remember that far back. Hopefully somebody might have the diagram yet that will jump in here.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now. Should I happen to come across the wiring diagram, I'll get back to you.

Joe
"

" Thanks, Joe. The wiring fro

" Thanks, Joe. The wiring from the motor to the connector is complete, but I don't have the junction box or anything past the connector. I have a junction box for a '61 70hp Johnson---would this work? I would like to put this motor on my boat, but I am at a loss on how to hook it up.
Jim "

"Jim..... Johnson did not make

"Jim..... Johnson did not make a 70hp engine in 1961. They did however make a 75hp. Whether the junction box would interchange depends on the wiring connections.... black to black, green to green, etc etc. I strongly suggest that you take Andrew up on his offer pertaining to the service manual (It would include the wiring diagram). When the day comes that you no longer need it, I'm sure that reselling it and having your investment returned would present no problem.

Joe
"

" jim, i found a book in my lo

" jim, i found a book in my local library that has wiring diagrams from 1956-1989. it's published by
"intertec" publishing co. and the libraries locator # is 623.8723(dewey decimal system).i think your motor's diagram is on page #225.hope this helps.
jimbo "

"I think this is the book Jimb

"I think this is the book Jimbo is refering to...

It is available here.
Regards,
Andrew"

Back