Logo

1972 Johnson 85hp

B

Bill King

Can anyone tell me if it is c

Can anyone tell me if it is common to have a matalic look to the lower end fluid?

The oil should be clean. If t

The oil should be clean. If there are metal shavings it is time for a tear down and inpection.The hydro-electric shift units were very good but it is hard to get a shop to look at them.

I had trouble with the elec.

I had trouble with the elec. shift and took the lower unit apart thinking the problem was in the lower unit and found it was else where but all the gears looked new there was no wear and the oil was clean I had just bought the boat when this had happened.I ran it not more then ten hours and drained the lower unit to get it ready for winter and noticed the oil. Should I take it apart again?

If you are getting oil with

If you are getting oil with
metal particles in it something is wrong. Best to take it apart before something reall
y goes wrong. Gears and shafts and the oil pump are expensive.

Get a Johnson service and go

Get a Johnson service and go for it. It would be alot cheaper now than later...I learned the hard way now I am rebuilding my 1972 65Hp Johnson. New seals water pump kit and reverse gear and Dog. The service manuals listed online here from johnson are great! It has the detail for your engine not everyone elses. Good luck to ya.
Daniel

Back