Logo

Gasket sealer

paul

" When changing the impeller o

" When changing the impeller on a 1983 Evinrude 15 hp motor, do you put gasket sealer bewteen the water pump housing and the plate? Around the edges? If so what kind should I use? "

" The shop manual recommends i

" The shop manual recommends it, but I didn't when I changed the impeller on my 1990 9.9 which has basically the same setup. It will work just fine that way, but I'm not sure that I don't have a little water intrusion with mine. I don't think that is the cause of it at any rate. A mechanic told me that you really don't need the sealers for this project. Just my .02, but check with someone who's really sure before you do it that way. BTW, how has that '83 'rude held up for you? "

"Paul...... On the gaskets, us

"Paul...... On the gaskets, use regular gasket sealer, the kind in a can that has a small brush attached to its screw off cap. On surface to surface areas (hsg to plate, etc), use a sticky substance called Marprox Sealer 1000. It is also manufactured under other names, one of which is the manufacturer Boat Armor, but it is always refered to as Sealer 1000. Both items should be available at any reliable auto parts store.

Joe\image(omc)"

Joe...is it OK to use head ga

Joe...is it OK to use head gasket sealer on omc v-6's? (permatex copper spray sealent) Will it it add any sealing qualities or is it just asking for a problem?

Thanks in advance...

"Joe.... You answered your own

"Joe.... You answered your own question my friend. It will most certainly cause problems. You could coat the older gaskets with a light coat of oil and nothing else, but the newer gaskets have a coating that seals tightly when the engine warms up. Applying a sealer of any kind defeats that coating.

Joe
"

" Are there supposed to be gas

" Are there supposed to be gaskets in the water pump assembly on that 9.9/15 OMC motor? All I have in there is the machined metal plate seal. I did see the remnants of some old gasket down there, but I asked and nobody seemed to have it. They said it wasn't nescessary, and that they couldn't find any such thing in the OMC microfiche, so I just put the assembly together without any new gaskets or gasket forming compounds etc. "

"Jdkline.... There are no gask

"Jdkline.... There are no gaskets used in the water pump assy of that engine.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, that's what

" Thanks Joe, that's what I thought. Should I use the sealer you described on the mating surfaces next time? I've just been using a little OMC grease on it previously. One question about the lower unit lubricant. When I drain it, it has the color of a frapuccino, and just a slightly thicker consistency than when I put it in. There is no apparent separation of water and oil, and no metal filings in the lube. Is this acceptable? Thanks in advance. "

"Jdkline.... Yes, use the seal

"Jdkline.... Yes, use the sealer to prevent air from being drawn into the pump area. You'll have to make the judgement call about the gear lube as I have no idea as to what "frapuccino" is. However, if water is being drawn into the unit, I'd suggest that you try to find the access point.

Joe
"

" Joe, I didn't know if yo

" Joe, I didn't know if you'd get that description. The color is like your coffee with a litle creamer or milk in it. What happens if you don't use the sealer and air is drawn into the water pump assembly? Could that cause the motor to overheat? Cause the pump to not perform? Thanks in advance. "

"Jdkline.... Air would cause t

"Jdkline.... Air would cause the water pump pressure to decrease somewhat, but don't be concerned about it. It will probably never happen in your case unless that water pump area gets very close to the water/air surface.

The lube color..... I don't know what to tell you on that. It's been my experience that water and oil do not mix, and any time I've checked a unit that had water in it, after having it sit in a normal upright position overnight, pure water would exist at the lower drain plug. I've had others tell me that the two will mix to a degree.

Bottom line... you'll need to make that judgement call. When in doubt, change the lube as it's a cheaper route than repairing the lower unit.

Joe
"

" Jdkline --- the 83 runs gre

" Jdkline --- the 83 runs great! Change plugs, lower unit lube, impeller every few years. Great engine, but has low hours engine on a sailboat, if 30 hours get on it per year that is a lot. Only major problems I have had are the power pack, recoil spring and shifter rod rusted thu a couple of years ago. "

Back