Logo

Engine mounting

J

johnny k

" hello, does anyone know an i

" hello, does anyone know an inexpensive way to mount a long shaft 85hp engine to a boat that takes a short shaft engine? is this a difficult project? thanks in advance for your help.
johnny "

" Johnny,

One way

" Johnny,

One way or another, if you want the engine to be mounted correctly, you'll have to come up with a way to mount it above the transom. It is possible to simply mount an engine a little higher, but 5 inches is probably pushing it.

The cheapest and easiest way out (unless you can weld & machine stainless or aluminum) is to get down your local marine shop and check out manual jacking plates. If you have a West Marine or BOATUS in your area, they bothe carry manual jacking plates. What a jacking plate is, is a motor mount that is adjustable up and down, they are usually used when someone really wants to fine tune the height of the engine, for better performance. In your case you can just use one to get an extra 5 inches of height. Some are hydraulic ($$$) and others are manual. I'm looking at a West Marine catolog, and they have a product made by "T & H Marine" that is rated up to 225 HP for $90, it provides 5 1/2 inches of lift - perfect. They may have it shown online at www.westmarine.com .

Jon "

" jon, thanks, i will check th

" jon, thanks, i will check them out now. should be just what i need. thanks again.
johnny "

Back