Logo

Shaft Length

pete

My friend just bought a boat

My friend just bought a boat with a Johnson model number J200ST4EDM and would like to repower but doesn't know the shaft length. Can anyone tell me the length from the model number. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pete

" Pete,

I'm not sure ho

" Pete,

I'm not sure how to tell the shaft length from the model number, but here's how to determine shaft length: Measure the boat from the top of the transom (where the engine "hangs" from), down to the lowest point at the bottom of the "V". The length is probably going to be 20 or 25 inches, meaning the engine required will be a 20 or 25 inch shaft (depending on the transom height). It could also be 15 or 30, but they are less common.

Jon "

"Pete.... To actually measure

"Pete.... To actually measure the engine, measure from the underside of the transom bracket that would sit on top of the transom, and measure straight down to the cavitation plate (the plate just above the prop). Subtract 1" from that measurement. That should put you very close to what you're looking for.....20", 25", etc.

Joe
"

" I have a astroglass bass boa

" I have a astroglass bass boat with a 115 Mercury with a 20" shaft. Last fall we clogged the intake with a lilly pad and smoked the motor. We are looking to replace it with a 125 Force engine, but it has a 25" shaft. Will there be any problem with putting a longer shafted motor on our boat? "

" Ray,

Next time you po

" Ray,

Next time you post, be sure to start your own tread by clicking the "create new conversation" button on the bottom of the screen; if you don't, it may not be noticed.

Yes, you really don't want to just slam a 25" shaft on a 20" transom. This will definitly destroy performance, and if you are allready having problems with weeds, wait until you have an extra half foot in the water.

The cheapest and easiest way out of that is to find a fixed mount jacking plate; they sell for under $100, and most can provide a 5 inch lift. West Marine (online at www.westmarine.com) sells a model rated for up to 225 HP for $90, it provides 5 1/2 inches vertical lift.

Jon "

Back