Logo

1971 60 HP Johnson wont shift out of forward

J

james123

Does anyone know what I might

Does anyone know what I might check to see what is causing this?

" James.... Your engines shift

" James.... Your engines shifting system is called a "Hydro Electric Shift". One of the most complex systems ever devised. It consists of a electric switch (12v) that applies voltage to one of two, or both solenoids in the lower unit which when actuated results in changes to an oil pump in the forward section of the lower unit, which varies pressure to a spring loaded clutch dog (whew!). When voltage is applied to one solenoid, the lower unit goes to neutral. Voltage to both solenoids results in reverse. No voltage allows the spring loaded clutch dog to slam into forward gear, which of course results in the unit being in forward gear. The idea of this is that if you lose electrical power, or for some reason are unable to apply voltage to those solenoids, you will still have forward gear and will be able to move the rig. Now.... your problem is that you are either not getting voltage to those solenoids as required, or you have lost the lower unit oil somehow. Note...that unit must have what is called "Premium BLend" oil, available at any OMC dealer. DO NOT under any circumstances use "Hi Vis" as that is too thick for the oil pump in that lower unit... and it will malfunction. I've been told that "Premium Blen" is also available at various stores such as K-Mart & Wal*Mart but I don't know that for a fact. Hope this info helps you somewhat. "

" OK that helps alot. Now, do

" OK that helps alot. Now, do you know if there is a procedure to isolate wheter it is the switch, or the lower unit? Is there a way to apply voltage to the solenoid(s) from the top to see if they are functioning correctly?

I will check the oil level tonight. I am glad you said somthing about the Hi Vis oil. I was going to change it this weekend and the kind I purchased was Hi Vis. "

" James.... Look closely at th

" James.... Look closely at the wiring in the powerhead area. You will find two (2) wires that lead down through a opening just below the base of the powerhead. One will either be "Blue" or it will have a "Blue" marker of some kind on it. The other wire will be "Green" or have a "Green" marker. Both wires will be connected to a like wire with knife connectors which will (or should be) covered (insulated) with a rubber sleeve. You can check the voltage going to those knife connectors by leaving them connected and using a voltmeter.... you should have a full 12v to the "Green" wire in neutral, 12v to both the "Green" & "Blue" wire in reverse, and no voltage when in forward. (Remember to have the igntion key on or you'll have no voltage anywhere). To energize the lower unit at the powerhead, disconnect those two knife connectors and with the engine running... apply 12v to the "Green" (neutral solenoid) wire, It should shift into neutral... apply 12v to both the "Green" & "Blue" (neutral & reverse solenoid), it should shift into reverse. With no voltage applied, it should shift into forward gear. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

" Joe, Thank you so much. I w

" Joe, Thank you so much. I will let you know how it turns out. "

" Well I checked the voltages

" Well I checked the voltages at the wires and they were good, so I then checked the fluid. Low and behold there was no fluid!!!! (I just bought this engine used, and had not checked yet.)

Anyway, I replaced the fluid using the recommened gear lube,a nd it now works great.

Thank you again for your helop. you are an in valuable resource.

James "

"James.... You're welcome

"James.... You're welcome of course. Glad that I was able to help. Keep in mind that if your lower unit was out of oil, there's a leak somewhere. So keep your eye on that oil level. Note... the proper way to fill that lower unit is to fill it from the bottom until it comes out the top hole. If you try to fill it from the top, you'll run into a air pocket, and although the unit will appear full, it will not be. You probably already know that but just in case...... Good luck. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC)"

Back