Logo

1993 Evinrude

" Joe, I wanted to say thanks

" Joe, I wanted to say thanks for the part # for a battery charge kit, saved me $120.00 right off the bat.My question now is my friction button seems to be broken it wont hold the throtle in any position I currently run a bungie cord around it to the back of the motor hood, works fine but real inconvient. I would like to know if this is something your average do it yourselfer can replace or is it better left to the pros, and is it an expensive part? Thanks again trollingbob. "

"Bob..... You didn't say w

"Bob..... You didn't say what HP but no matter, I checked back through the messages and found that it's a 1993 9.9hp. I don't have the book on that model and am not sure of the type of throttle friction block it incorporates. Some have a dual slotted type (washer) block within the handle itself, but I'm pretty sure that yours has a clamp type setup with a thumb screw? I cn't imagine what could cause that from working. Explain it a little further, and if possible send me a few pictures of it.

Joe
"

" Joe, I'm not set up to s

" Joe, I'm not set up to send pics. & not sure I can explain any better but here goes. I had the throttle cable replaced and the friction knob hasn't worked scince, the knob is at the very end of the throttle handle and when you tighten it it will not hold the throttle it goes right back to idle. I thought mabey they didn't hook it up but it does tighten down just doesn't do anything. I was thinking I should buy a shop manual as this would show me how it goes together and I could tell if it is something I can handle.Thanks for the info. Bob "

"Bob.... The inner knob on the

"Bob.... The inner knob on the extreme end of the throttle handle is a mechanical idle adjustment stop. Turning it in increases the rpms... backing it out lowers the rpms. It would relate to say the screw on a lawnmower that simply changes the idle rpms, but it would have nothing to do with a friction device to hold the throttle setting at any given point. I'd suggest that you ask the mechanic that installed the throttle cable for you, to explain where that friction adjustment is. I can't visualize any other adjustment knobs that would be at the end of that handle. Keep me up to date on that problem.

Joe
"

" Joe, The repair service that

" Joe, The repair service that installed the cable has changed hands scince the repair and has new mechanics "go figure" but I will ask a couple of other shops maybe one of them will be nice enough to show me a shop manual so I can see exactly where its located and how to adjust it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I'll let you know what I find out in a latter post. Bob. "

Back