Logo

Stabilizer plates hydrofoils do they work

shawn

" Im looking in a magazine and

" Im looking in a magazine and see the Cobra edge, SE Sport, Sting Ray, Davis Doel Fin and so forth,
do theese actually work? I have a 14 foot crestliner 20" transom, with a total weight of about 1100 pounds with the two of us, 850 pounds with just me, gear motor, and everything. It has a 18 horse evinrude, that planes fine with just me, but with two it just has a hard time doing it. and with three this year im concerned it wont plane, all i want is good controll and ride, i dont care about making any speed record obviously. i just want to know if they are a gimmick or the real deal. "

" I've used the Doel Fin o

" I've used the Doel Fin on my last three boats, I recommend them very highly for stability, smooth planing, and at around $35, more than worth it "

" I bought a doel-fin for use

" I bought a doel-fin for use on my 9ft. inflatable, powered by a 6HP Johnson. W/O the doel-fin, the dink would plane, but barely with only me (200 lbs.) aboard. With the doel-fin, it won't plane AT ALL. The extra drag from the fins seem to slow it down enough to not allow it to get on top of the water. But others in my Club with a bigger OB (like 9.9 or certainly a 15) have had very good luck. So I believe you need enough HP in reserve to overcome the initial extra drag. I would guess that the doel-fin would probably help with just you, but if you load it down so much that it's maxed out w/o the fins, the fins will hurt, not help.

Good luck! "

Back