Logo

Help with HP Ratings

shawn

" I am confused, I have what i believe is a 1962 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp longshaft, Im looking for a new motor that performs as least as well or better that the 18 on my 82 Crestliner Commodore 14foot boat, it weighs about 300 pounds. I want to keep the motor light and its used strictly for fishing small water. A dealer i talked to says one of the new 4stroke 15 horse motors will out perform my old 18, because the old motor is rated at the flywheel and the new ones are at the prop? is this true? "

"Shawn... I have no idea as to

"Shawn... I have no idea as to the later model 4 stroke engines, but the 1962 18hp Evinrude horsepower was/is rated at the propeller. This was one of OMC's strong selling points.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" I don't know from person

" I don't know from personal experience, but I have been told that 4-strokes are heavier have lower top end and less holeshot. That guy wants to sell you the more expensive motor. I'd go with the carbed 2-stoke or if you do want a 4 stroke, at least a 20HP 4 to get the same performance. Now the 4-strokes do have a great upside. No smell, very little smoke, morer environmentally friendly and 2006 EPA compliant. This really matters very little because the 2-strokes prior to '06 will be grandfathered in. 4s are also quieter and you don't mix 2-stroke oil in the fuel. But from what I've heard, you'll have to get a bigger 4 to get the same performance. Good luck. "

I have a 1972 18hp fastwin. I think I have spun the prop! The boat was getting on plan then the motor would run wide open. This was occuring intermitently at first but is doing it all the time now. How can I tell if the prop has spun? I can turn the motor with the prop blades. If the prop has spun can it be repaired? what are my options? The prop is a 9 1/4 X 11.

:confused:
I have a 1972 18hp fastwin. I think I have spun the prop! The boat was getting on plan then the motor would run wide open. This was occuring intermitently at first but is doing it all the time now. How can I tell if the prop has spun? I can turn the motor with the prop blades. If the prop has spun can it be repaired? what are my options? The prop is a 9 1/4 X 11.

I have a 1972 18hp fastwin. I think I have spun the prop. How can I tell for sure? the boat would come up on plane and run good then the motor would run wide open! Now it goes to wide open when I turn throdle. I can turn the motor with the prop blades. If it is spun what are the options? Can it be repaired? It is a 9 1/4 X11

:confused:

Back