Logo

5HP Overheats

I have a Johnson 5 horsepower

I have a Johnson 5 horsepower seahorse motor. im not sure of the year its older im sure because it does not have gears its always in forward. Ive went over this motor everywhere i can think of but it always overheats. ive check the water pump seems all good impeller is still good. ive check the path of the water all the way through the engine and seems to be good and it discharges water..not as much as id think but im not sure what it should be. Im not to sure wahts wrong with it ive tried mixing with a little more oil and didnt seem to help so any ideas would be appreciated thanks...Corey

"depending on the year, it may

"depending on the year, it may have a thermostat set in the cylinder head--it may be defective--you cant tell if the impellor is useable by looking at it--you should replace it and the thermostat--both items are fairly inexpensive and the peace of mind is well worth it--"

"Corey.... As Tom states, you

"Corey.... As Tom states, you can't tell if a impeller is good just by looking at it. I'd strongly suggest that (if you intend to keep the engine awhile) you replace the entire complete water pump. This action allows you to look elsewhere if the problem continues to exist rather than guess at the cause.

The complete kit may be available at NAPA. What is the model number of the engine? With this model info, we can relate the kit part number."

Well Model # LD-10S and Serial

Well Model # LD-10S and Serial # J2491287..any info would be nice like if it has a thermostat or not and if there is a NAPA kit...Thanks

"The model number of LD-10S in

"The model number of LD-10S indicates that the engine is a 1965 5hp Johnson. If there is a plate on top of the cylinder head which is attached with three bolts, that is the thermostat cover and of course the thermostat would be beneath it.

NAPA should have the water pump kit."

Back