Logo

1983 Evinrude 35 hp

bvomark

"The alarm was going off when

"The alarm was going off when motor idled too long, so I replaced the water pump impeller. After replacement the motor still got hot. It actually got way to hot for my liking. We disassembled the motor and thought the rubber tube in the power head was shot so we removed powerhead and replaced rubber tube.

Still got hot so we removed lower unit and found the little rubber tube in the water pump cover was shot. Replaced that and put motor back together. Motor still not cooling properly when at an idle. Impeller is still good.

I have some questions and any help is appreciated. Can the impeller vanes be installed the wrong direction? If so what is the proper method? Does this motor have a thermostat and could that be the problem? Where is it at and how do I replace it? All help appreciated and if you think of something else let me know."

"an exploded view of that moto

"an exploded view of that motor from evinrude's web site shows a thermostat hidden behind the cylinder head cover--go to www.evinrude.com and click on USA on the map, click on "Parts and Accessories" at the top, click on "engine diagrams", uncheck email box, click on catalogs, click on year and model--i think i got this right--"

"Even if the vanes were instal

"Even if the vanes were installed backwards, they would flex to the proper position as soon as the engine cranked over.

Hopefully you didn't bend and shove the water tube upwards slightly when installing the lower unit the first time. If it was off center from the water tube grommet, and if that's what damaged that grommet, the bent tube is a possibility.

However, Tom's suggestion (above) about the thermostat is right on target."

"Also, if you are tank testing

"Also, if you are tank testing, make sure that the motor is in deep enough to cover all the way over the top of the impeller housing."

Back