Logo

Electronic ignition versus points style ignition

C

Curt Garrett

"Gentlemen, here is a new prob

"Gentlemen, here is a new problem for me. I have the points style ignition system which I am quite familiar with, as I am 54 years old. I have seen a conversion kit for an electronic ignition. How difficult is it to switch. I see it comes with sometype of module, a mounting base that goes inside the distributor and I believe it also comes with a rotor. I have read here that you need to wire it thru a cutoff switch, but I am not sure where it is located. I have an OMC King Cobra stearndrive system with a 7.5L engine (460c.i.) Has anyone else done this and can you tell me how to do it?? and if you have done it were you satisfied with the results.?"

"Curt,

Could you post the m

"Curt,

Could you post the model number of the engine? Should be on the engine nameplate."

"Curt...not sure what you mean

"Curt...not sure what you mean by the cutoff switch but the ESA still needs to be working for you to shift out of gear easily. There are a few different ones out there, one being Pertronix but it won't work with your ESA module (unless it's been replaced recently) however Pertronix does offer a diagram to show a diode/resistor fix you can put together to make it work or you can buy an updated ESA module that will work with electronic ignitions. You may also want/need to upgrade the coil and again this can involve some rewiring as your existing coil is fed through a resistor wire (while engine is running) so the voltage is lowered to around 8 or 9v, The newer ignitions like Pertronix require 12v.

Are you having problems with yours? I have a pair of those engines and have thought about it from time to time but can't justify the cost, I through in a new set every few years, set the dwell, set the timing and those things just start right up for me, I figure I'll just leave well enough alone for now."

I installed a pertronix kit in

I installed a pertronix kit in my 1988 4.3L and it was super easy! It didn't cost too much and I've been happy with it.

Back