Logo

Which motor is best

F

Fred Myers

" I am in the process of buyin

" I am in the process of buying a new fishing boat, and I am faced with the decision of what outboard to buy. I am looking in the 150-175 hp range.
The choices that are being recommended by dealers (every dealer has a different recommendation, so its confusing) are: Merc Optimax, Evinrude FICH, or Yamaha HPDI, or Honda. I haven't been able to locate any URL that provides test data that compares engines, so I would be most appreciative of any opinions/recommendations from a mechanic or fellow boater, who is familiar with these different motors. Which should I buy? "

GO FOR THE YAM BEST OUTBOARD

GO FOR THE YAM BEST OUTBOARD ON THE MARKET TAKE IT FROM ME IVE BEEN IN THE GAME FOR 20YEARS NOT MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE YAM PLENTY WITH THE OTHERS

" I'd be a little concerne

" I'd be a little concerned with the bankruptcy of OMC. While it appears they may be bought by Bombardier, what will happen to warranty coverage, parts availability, corporate strategy re: customer service, etc.? (Although, another strategy for cust. service might not be a bad thing for OMC.) Just an unknown quantity... I say this, although I've never owned anything but a Johnson or Evinrude OB (all 2 strokes <20HP though) for the last 25 years. "

" i would go with the honda ,

" i would go with the honda , they are great and i have dealt with people who have them and i never hear anything but good things about them "

" Am in the process of selecti

" Am in the process of selecting a twin o/b package for a 36 foot, 3.5MT boat. The choice has narrowed down to between Yamaha 250 (both standard rotation) because Yamaha does not advice the counter rotation (no explanation given), and a pair of Mariner 250 EFI.

Any advice on which is better from reliability,life and fuel consumption? Usage will be about 100 hrs per month.

What is the difference between Mercruiser 250 and Mariner 250? "

Back