Logo

Crusader 454

clinton

Hi
I read this forum a lot an

Hi
I read this forum a lot and thanks to those who contribute as it has been a great help to me as there is little or no knowledge of Crusader motors in Australia. One thing that appears to come up quite frequently on the Crusader 454's is that they are notorious for dropping valves and or sucking in water (raw). My understanding of the problem is that if you are powering along and suddenly back the boat off to neutral the sudden backpressure and added pressure of water hitting the transom results in a mouth full up the exhaust and straight into the manifold.
My question - is this how it happens? and if not what causes the water to get into the engine.
I am in the process of refitting a 1982 Trojan 10m express fitted with twin 454 Crusaders (freshwater cooled). and am new to crusaders so am just trying the old "prevention is better than cure" rule in trying to find out how to avoid this happening to me!
Trojans have a side exhaust (about midships) and if this is the cause should not be as much of an issue for me (hopefully!!!)
Clinton

"i have twin 454's in a 40

"i have twin 454's in a 40' jersey , crusaders made various height risers,mine appear to be 12/14"high this solves 99%of the water problems."

Back