Logo

1959 Johnson 55

norm

" I was wondering if anyone co

" I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a 1959 Johnson 5.5hp in good condition would go for. The guy who is selling it wants $185 U.S., and that includes two pressure fuel tanks. Is this reasonable for a fairly clean good running motor.

Also if you could let me know who can supply parts for this motor it would be appreciated. Will need a water pump of course and other parts would be great.

Thanks much!

Norm "

"Norm,

I'm sure you re

"Norm,

I'm sure you realize that "value" of a motor is difficult to determine. I looked in Peter Hunn's book The Old Outboard Book and he shows your motor, which I think is a CD-16 as having a value of $50 to $200 depending on condition, with $200 being in excellent condition. That is of course an estimate and "value" can vary considerably. I would say that if you like the motor you should buy it at that price, it is certainly in the right range.

Parts are generally available for these motors. There are a number of vendors listed in our directory that specialize in old outboards.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart"

" Norm.... The 1959 Johnsons D

" Norm.... The 1959 Johnsons DID NOT uae the "Pressure Tank" set up. These engine incorporated a fuel pump. If you could get back to us with the exact model number of that engine, we could pinpoint the year for you. (Joe 30+ years with OMC) "

" Joe,
Strange because he tel

" Joe,
Strange because he tells me the engine is white which should mean it is a 59 or later from what I've been able to determine. He really is not sure of the year. I will be seeing the motor tomorrow and may pick it up. Thanks much for the info!

Norm "

"Ok, picked up the motor and b

"Ok, picked up the motor and boy is it clean! No corrosion or evidence of salt water use that I can see. Apparently an older guy had it on an aluminum boat and didn't use it much. The guy I bought it from replaced it with a bigger motor thinking he could use the boat on the ocean and only ran this one a couple of times. It ran REAL well but died at idle. I didn't want to run it long before at least replacing the water pump impeller. I'm going to replace the points and condenser also and any info would be appreciated. It is a CD-15, Serial No. 1864035, so it is a 1959 motor. The two tanks are a 3 1/2 gallon Johnson and 5 gallon Evinrude. They have the dual hose feed and primer on the tank. Thanks everyone for your help! If anyone want's to see it is took a couple of digital photo's. My E-Mail address is [email protected]"

Norm.... Glad that you're

Norm.... Glad that you're happy with your purchase and I wish you the best. However the model CD-15 is a 1958 engine. CD-16 would be a 1959. Both models are very good engines.

" Typo... sorry, CD-16 it is!

" Typo... sorry, CD-16 it is! "

Back