Logo

65L Diesel V8 Gas to Diesel Power and Easy Install Job

T

Ty/... Ct.

"I was viewing some of the pos

"I was viewing some of the posts on converting from gas to diesel.. which I am research. presently I have a 1986 Luhrs 34' Sportsman twin 350 HP, 454 Crusaders, with 72 series 1.5:1 BW Velvets, with 1 1/4" dia. x 61" stainless long shafts.
I have been reasearching the - AM General 6.5L Optimizer 6500 Diesel Marine Engine, 300 HP, V8. called "The Hammerhead". I would be able to install the engine and 5000 BW Velvet/8 degree coupler, with the only change being the engine mount plates would be horizonal / instead of on a angle / and the hole location / to bolt the motor mounts to, would need to be redrilled, and the engine mount plates moved back 8" from the present location because of the different tranny which changes engine rotation. Same dash panel, same shaft, strut, wiring.. prop might need change. Now, as for speed and fuel.. well look at the studies done at there site..
This engine is not to be confused with the GM 6.5L that has all those problems !!
http://www.marinedieselusa.com
No Smoke, Less Noise than a Gas Engine, Less Weight Than A 454, and finally the benifit of a Supercharging System vs Standard Turbo Charging and a specific High Torque Rise vs Low RPM Torque Curve which yields considerably better performance.
If you want to ask questions, click on sales, start by telling them "Tyrone from Conn." sent you, and that person will answer any and all your questions, because when I do my install.. I will keep a log plus pictures, step by step for them, to show and help future people do there install."

"That's a Pretty Impressiv

"That's a Pretty Impressive Package,.........

I bet it comes at a Pretty Impressive Price Tag too..........."

"The engine is basically the s

"The engine is basically the same as a 6.5L in a Hummer and other GM applications. The 6.5L is a very reliable engine. It only turns into crap in military vechicles where proper maintance isn't conducted by the daily users. I would know. I have one in my 1980 25ft Wellcraft 248, my 1985 GMC that was a 6.2L, and I'm a diesel mechanic in the U.S. Army. I have seen the abuse those engines will take and keep on running strong."

Back