Logo

Horsepower upgrades for 50L are there any

nsxxtreme

I have a 5.0L GL volvo engine

I have a 5.0L GL volvo engine that puts out 220hp.

Are there any performance upgrades for these motors?

I noticed you can get a 4 barrel carb for this motor. Anyone know if there is any performance gain?

"It's a car motor- the upg

"It's a car motor- the upgrades work the same. Make it breathe better, you'll get more power."

Well I kinda figured that but

Well I kinda figured that but where do you find volvo 5.0L performance parts?

The Carb was all I was able to find.

I don't think you'll f

I don't think you'll find Volvo performance parts. Jeg's and the other performance companies should be able to get you where you want to go. What kind of boat is it and how fast do you want to go?

Its a 2002 reinell 203 I would

Its a 2002 reinell 203 I would like to get close to 300HP if possible.

Is the motor actually made by Volvo?

Thanks for the info.

"Volvo? I doubt it. GM 5.0L is

"Volvo? I doubt it. GM 5.0L is very common, so is 5.7L. If you contact Volvo-Penta with the motor serial number, they should be able to give you some info that you'll need when it come time to make parts choices.

Intake manifold, carb, rocker arms and cam will get you very close to 300HP, if not over. You should also look at the bolts on the intake manifold to see if they go in vertically or if they go in perpendicular to the mating surface for the intake and head. If they are vertical, you have Vortec heads, may have roller rockers and should have roller lifters. That's why you get 225 HP. Non-Vortec heads, etc give you about 205. 5.0L Indmar TBI was rated at 275 HP and they used a pretty nice intake manifold.

Going to TBI is expensive but there are benefits. You can still develop more HP and torque. Torque shouldn't be ignored since that's ultimately what turns the prop."

A 5.0 does not take to hop up

A 5.0 does not take to hop up like a 5.7 due to its small bore. THe best hop up would be to go with a 5.7 Vortec.

Jeff

A 5.0L bore is anywhere from 3

A 5.0L bore is anywhere from 3.70 " to 4". the 5.7L is usually 4". It can still be done with good results.

3.74" to be exact.

Chan

3.74" to be exact.

Changing to a 5.7L would be thousands of dollars and a lot of work.

I'm looking to get in the 300hp range nothing to outrageous.

Reading the owners manual the motor is a 305 so I assume that makes it a chevy.

I currently have a 14.5"X21 prop the boat hits 42-45mph. I would like to get to 50 and add a little bit quicker hole shot. As long as I can hit these goals with a new prop and some performance parts I will be happy.

Thanks for the info.

"I googled 5.0L and there was

"I googled 5.0L and there was a range of diameters, so I generalized. Yup, it's a Chevy and because of this, there are tons of upgrades avalable. Check out Jeg's, Summit racing, etc for ideas and info."

"The Mercruiser 4V 305 (5.

"The Mercruiser 4V 305 (5.0L) is rated at 30 hp. more than the 2V version, you should expect the same increase in hp for the Volvo version. Yes it is a 5.0 GM engine. Several aftermarket manufacturers offer carb/manifold set-ups for this engine. Just be sure you use the marine versions. The manifold will have the bosses required to mount your linkage and the carb will have the overflow protection to keep you coast guard approved (and safe).

Unfortunatly you're not going to get this engine near 300 hp without some much more serious (and expensive) modifications."

"Rick- I think I asked you bef

"Rick- I think I asked you before, did you ever work for Volvo-Penta?"

"No, not directly, but I was a

"No, not directly, but I was a VP dealer up unitl '97 and am now a dealer/service center for their QL line of bow thrusters. I also have a very good relatioship with the OEM tech rep for the NE region."

"'Car Craft' magazine

"'Car Craft' magazine did a hop up of a 305 a few yeaw years ago and got reasonable power out of it. (You might try to Google past issues of the magazine.) The trick to getting power is in the heads, since the bore is so small--larger valves would be shrouded.

Jeff"

"A four barrell carb won't

"A four barrell carb won't do much without more cam, but you have to make sure you go with a "marine" cam. The overlap is different than an automotive cam."

"I just put a GMPP highrise ma

"I just put a GMPP highrise manifold and Q-Jet on a customers 5.0L Merc. A 24 foot stingray aft cabin. He said it really woke the boat up. Better hole shot, better fuel economy, Better speed at cruise rpm and higher top speed. He did not specify but he has a big old grin on his face every time I see him. You might try this first and see if you need more."

I am looking for a 4 barrel an

I am looking for a 4 barrel and an intake manifold. I got some recommendations from edelbrock.

Still searching for a marine cam.

"The cam I have installed in m

"The cam I have installed in my 350 is a Melling Performance, part No. 22124. I am very satisfied with the results."

"A highrise is perfect for mar

"A highrise is perfect for marine apps, because it will help with low end torque.
Mike, did you call ededlbrock? They have a number of "custom" grinds, that may help you, talk to a tech.Let me know prices when you find one, ok? I have a 2006 5.0 GL"

"Also, if you're getting u

"Also, if you're getting up around the 300 horsepower range, you better make sure your lower unit can take the power,if you just have an SX, you'll probably wreck it,and you might have to change to beefier motor mounts, the stock ones are not designed for that kind of torque."

"As far as the B18 AQ100 engin

"As far as the B18 AQ100 engine, where might that engine be (state town).
(Refering to a previous post: B18 aq100 that is destined for scrap unless someone can make use of it.)
The Motor is in Central Point, OR
I can be reached at 514-210-0085 (Sid)"

OOOOPS!!!!
As far as the B18

OOOOPS!!!!
As far as the B18 AQ100 engine.
I fat-fingered the keys; mt real phone num is: 541 210-0085 or 541-826-2080.
Sid Layton

I emailed edelbrock this is th

I emailed edelbrock this is the response I got

"Sorry we do not make any marine cams.
Use intake PN # 2701 and carb PN # 1409."

So I am still looking for a cam. If anyone has suggestions please post them.

"I already did. Did you see my

"I already did. Did you see my post?

"The cam I have installed in my 350 is a Melling Performance, part No. 22124. I am very satisfied with the results."

This cam is also rated for the 305.

Check here for more info, or you can also contact Melling if you have any questions:

http://data.melling.com/Select/marine.php"

Sorry yes I did see your post

Sorry yes I did see your post and thank you. Looking for a few different options then will choose the best one.

Here is what I was able to find so far.
Besides the melling 22124

From cpperformance.com
"If you have a flat tappet engine I would use part number 295-122323CL if you have a roller engine use 295-084168."

"I have a new issue.I broke th

"I have a new issue.I broke the tip off of my skeg yesterday, it's a piece right under the prop, kinda weird shaped, it's from the trailing edge of the skeg, not the bottom. It seems like I got a rock caught between prop and skeg,and took out the chunk, any ideas?Thanks for the help guys. RON"

Back