Logo

572 DP Losing Power

eddiepreston

"I just registered and am look

"I just registered and am looking forward to this forum. I may need to perform some maintenance on my 1993 Volvo Penta 570 DP. A complete new out drive was installed in 1998 or 1999 Got Knocked off by an submerged object! I purchased the Boat in 02 and the drive has about 250 to 300 hours on it. The gear case oil is changed every season with Amsoil synthetic and stays clean no water or metal. Should I have been removing the boot and greasing Bearings or U-Joints? I replaced A trim Cylinder, Neat trick with the grease fitting and the pin. I have an intermittent problem with the engine loosing rpm and missing slightly (under load at about 3000 rpm and above). I hope this is a plug wire and not a gimbal bearing. The trim gauge shows about 80 % up Possibly bad sending unit ( just happened labor day weekend) the fuel system looks ok semi fresh rebuild on the Holly Two Barrel."

"Hi,

To be on the safe side

"Hi,

To be on the safe side, I always grease the bellhousing bearing and the U-joints on a yearly basis, but I run my engine/outdrive between 50 and 150 hours (or more) every year."

"Replace the ignition wires an

"Replace the ignition wires and plugs--not too expensive, and it might cure your problem. I assume you are already changing fuel filters regularly?

Jeff"

"Yes I do! There may be a Scre

"Yes I do! There may be a Screen in the fuel pump I will check that. I was raised on Carbeurated engines and I am not convinced this is a fuel problem. HOPEFULLY the origional Plug Wires are the culprit. I am considering pulling the outdrive and inspect, replace as necessary. I don't know of any grease fittings for the Bearings/U-Joints"

"Most bellhousings have a fitt

"Most bellhousings have a fitting to lubricate the bellhousing bearing, but some don't. I have one that doesn't have a fitting, in which case the solutions are either to install a sealed bearing, or make an adaptor to your grease pump that you can slide between the bellhousing shaft and the lip seal, so that you can lubricate the bearing whenever you pull out the outdrive for greasing the u-joints.

Regarding the u-joints, mine do have grease fittings (like in the pictures) and I grease them once a year.

26202.jpg

26203.jpg
"

"Thanks, That is some great in

"Thanks, That is some great info, According to the online microfiche it seems that there are no grease fittings in the factory U-Joints I do not think I have any grease fittings in the bellhousing, and I do not know if the U-Joints or Bearings were replaced with the Out Drive in 1998. All I have is a Seloc manual that should suffice"

"1998 is a long time ago. I th

"1998 is a long time ago. I think it is time for a good inspection.

If you have a grease fitting in the bellhousing, it should be at the top, midway between the engine and the transom shield. You may want to have a look.

You can try to get the u-joints from the Sierra catalogue. I think these are the ones, but you will have to verify that yourself. Some have internal clips and some have external clips.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2104&returntopage= 80240797.htm

Also, there is a fellow on e-bay selling them. Check this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-853057-U-Joints-New-270-280-290-repla cems_W0QQitemZ180010500123QQihZ008QQcategoryZ26455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

I purchsed recently from him a whole u-joint assembly and I must say I was pleased both with the product and with the speedy delivery."

This is a great site thanks fo

This is a great site thanks for the info I will probably do this next weekend have you heard that 1976 Plymouth Joints will fit? The Seloc Manual Should provide sufficent Illustrations and instructions. Thanks again

Back