Logo

1999 EVINRUDE FICTH 175 HP OUTBOARD Advise needed

rtyszka

"I am looking for repower &#40

"I am looking for repower (inexpensive for now) for my Outrage 18. I have a shot at a 1999 FICTH 175HP Eninrude for $1200 (new powerhead by shop selling it), but they say it needs powerpack computer.

He said he guaranteed it woulld run with new pack, but it needs to be done by dealer (special setup specific for engine). This is additional $1000 or so, but I would have for ~$2500 new engine. The engine is on ebay, dealer is local in CT as I also am.

Does the computer for powerpack need to be specially calibrated by dealer on this engine? I read that this year 150 and 175HP engines had their issues, is it one to stay away from?"

"It either needs a power pack

"It either needs a power pack or a new ECM. the ECM has to be set up by a dealer, power pack not . To me it sounds a bit odd if both are 'gone'..
As for the issues on theese engine, provided they have been uppgraded and propped right, they have no more issues they others (Optimax, HPDI etc)."

"I doubt that it is a "new

"I doubt that it is a "new" powerhead, for that price. They might have rebuilt it, but even that would be cheap. Why was the powerhead damaged in the first place? What caused the powerhead to fail? This is what you need to find out.
The "computer" has to be set up to verify the "computer" timing with the actual timing."

"The timing part is one thing,

"The timing part is one thing, the more important is that the engine model and serial number is stored in the ECM. Whatch out so the dealer do not take a 'used' ECU and drop it on Your engine or You may have two different serial numbers. Police and insurance goes after the ECU number! If You get a used ECU, be sure You have papers on the corresponding serialnumber and that the model number is the same as in on Your engine! There are too many different programs running and getting the wrong program/mapping may cause You a breakdown."

"Thanks for the honest advice

"Thanks for the honest advice on this, I am passing on this as it just did not sound or feel right. If anyone has a lead on a 110-175 OB on east coast for cheap, please let me know."

Back