Logo

Default charging circuit on 8 HP Mercury 1987 model

gsbooker

"When I purchased the engine w

"When I purchased the engine with the boat I was told that the engine didn't have the optional charge circuit. But when I took the cover off I could see that it was fitted with a rectifier which appears connected to a coil. There is no wiring from the rectifier to anywhere else though. I measured the voltage on the rectifier output at bit above idle and it was only about 6 volts, I was hoping for something close to 12 volts.
Does anyone know if Mercury fitter the coils and rectifier to all motors and only added the external wiring if the option was selected?
Can I assume that the output voltage will rise to over 12 volts when the engine is working or was the default version only 6 volts.

Any info would be appreciated

Regards

Graeme"

"Thanks for the info, MercuryP

"Thanks for the info, MercuryPartsExpress has some great diagrams, better than my third party manual.
At this stage I'm going to assume that the engine has the charge coil fitted whether by default or option. There is only one part reference for the coil and regulator so I'll assume it will product 12 volts when at operational rpm unless defective."

Back