Logo

Evinrude Ficht 150 1998 will not start

martin

"Boat has sat for 1 year.
Ne

"Boat has sat for 1 year.
New fuel lines and bulb installed. Tank emptied and fresh fuel installed. Launched and had a good afternoon run including all rpm ranges. No problems.
Returned 2 weeks later and started right away. a little rough at idle, but took us out of marina at low rpm. Bogged down and stalled when throttle opened. Would only run at low rpm. Eventually stalled and would not start. Fuel bulb was soft, but even when hard, would not start. Bulb seems to stay hard, suggesting no leaks. Racor filter seems okay.
Plugs cleaned, Oily, but no carbon. Plugs are Champion QC12PEP.
Fuel checked for water.
Note lot of oil in the air intakes and intake housing.
Have read postings on this and similar engines.
Thanks"

You would probably need to run

You would probably need to run a fuel pressure test. Most probably the electric low pressure pump that may have a clogged screen if the engine was not properly preserved before storage. (Ficht 'mix' in the fuel).

"To Morten.
I have checked fo

"To Morten.
I have checked for spark, and that is okay.
Fuel seems to be the problem.
how do I do the pressure test? Where do I measure this? At pump output?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Martin"

"There is a test valve both at

"There is a test valve both at the float chamber (for low pressure) and in the high pressure circuit. A good thing would of course be to get a manual so You may learn and get familiar to the systems of the engine.
The high pressure test isbehind cap '37', low pressure just below pos 58.
26152.gif
"

Thanks.
will try. What pressu

Thanks.
will try. What pressure should I get?
No alarm active when turning on ignition. Is the problem in the ECU?

"As for specs I do not remembe

"As for specs I do not remember them, one of the reasons the manual is handy! But first You could check that You hear the electric pump running for some seconds when You put the ignition on. If not check the fuse.
As for the alarm system, doeas the system check lights 'count down' when You put on ignition?
Is Your alarm horn working? Do You have 12 volts to the horn when You put ign 'on'? It is probably not the ECU!"

"Morten,
No lights and no ala

"Morten,
No lights and no alarm when the ignition is turned on.
The pump is audible when the ignition is turned on, by the way.
Martin"

"Do You have power to the inst

"Do You have power to the instruments? It seems like You have power out of the ignition and back to the engine or the pump would not run and further more probably the power relay on the engine is working. On the other hand You may have a problem in the wireing system concerning the alarm and instruments. The alarm and countdown in the instrument check lights is started by power put on and as for the instruments it is a self test of the instrument and has nothing to do with the engine and ECU. Suggest You do a voltage check at the ignition switch (purple + and black - cable) , the alarm (purple and black)and the big contact for the instruments (purple and black). The big red/blue to switch must have power since the engine crancks, and probably the purple out as the pump starts. It might be the black ground where the problem is, check the engine ground cables."

"Morten,
I am attaching some

"Morten,
I am attaching some notes I took while testing the circuits.
There appear to be no ground wires off .
Regarding the fact that I cannot get the engine to start....
1. I took out all the plugs again and checked for spark. There is spark.
2. I turned the engine over and there was a fine spray out of all the cylinders.
3. there appears to be good fuel pressure (Shoots out a few feet from the valve on the pump)
4 Pulled the fuel line going to the injectors and there is good pressure there.

Does the engine shut down in the event of low oil pressure?? ....................................
the shut down on the engine was gradual and not abrupt.
First it would run at idle, and sutting down as I gave it a little throttle. Eventually it quit and would not start again.
Still will not start. I assume I can run the engine for a few seconds without water if it were to start. The boat is out of the water now.
What am I missing./???...I checked the fuses on the engine again, and they are OK.
I tried to load the attachment and could not so I will email it to you separately.
MANY THANKS. MARTIN"

Back