Logo

1974 century w440 getting hotter on one side

century19

"Hello all, new to the board.

"Hello all, new to the board. I ran a search of this site and found some good info on the 318 engine. I was wondering if anyone had a cooling schematic of the 440 with a paragon v-drive.
I recently took the boat out and found that when cruising fast the engine ran about 165ish and when I slowed for the wakeless zone I instantly began to heat up to about 185 and steam was rising from the engine bay, so I idled up a bit and she cooled back down after a couple minuetes.
when I got to dock I noticed that the port side exhaust manifold and riser was significantly warmer to the touch than the starboard. I now have the Sherwood dual impeller off which is not missing pieces or scared in anyway and turns as it should, I will replace the rubber impellers anyway now that its out. But I also checked the operation of the thermostat and it was opening fine and I believe its correct is has 163 stampped on it. Since i'm new to owning a boat I was wanted to run this scenario by you experts and see if anyone could suggest what else I should check, today I am going to remove rubber hoses one by one to check for debris but after that I'm stumpped. Thanks for reading my longwinded post and thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.
Dave"

I'd retry it after the wat

I'd retry it after the water pump repair. Sometimes even if all the blades are on the impeller it will not work well at lower rpm / speeds because the blades become weak from having set in the installed position to long and bend back instead of pushing the water.
When going faster water is forced into the water pick up and helps the pump move enough water to keep the engine cool.

"Thats good advice I'm gon

"Thats good advice I'm gonna do just that...just for fun i reinstalled the impeller yesterday and ran the boat at home, to double check the timing and fuel idle mixtue settings. correcting these settings seemed to help a little. I belive that when the pionts are set right and I have new impellers the boat will run sweet. I am going to buy the 440 repair book though because I won't be able to resist taking this big bad ass motor apart in the future!
thanks for your replys!
dave"

"If that's a raw water coo

"If that's a raw water cooled motor, a 163 ' t-stat is too hot for it--140 ' F is common. (If it's FWC system, ignore the above.)

You need to buy a laser-pointed temp gun and see what's actually happening. I suspect one of the manifolds/ risers is so plugged with rust that most of the water is exiting the other side.

Jeff"

"Yes, raw water cooled. After

"Yes, raw water cooled. After I read your post I looked on this website for a new t-stat but couldn't find one. Do you have any good online sources for those?
thanks for the info,
dave"

"I found a thermostat listed o

"I found a thermostat listed on this site after a second look but the picture is different than mine looks. mine looks like a cup on a stick, is that right? wonder if the previous owner put an automotive one in there."

Could be. Go with what the &#

Could be. Go with what the 'book' says to be sure.

A raw water cooled motor should have a 140 F t-stat. (FWC uses a 160.) Operating with more than 140 ' F t-stats can cause the steaming action you've witnessed.

I'll send you an article from DIY boating magazine on that subject.

Jeff

Back