3hp tanaka outboard

jjfarnum

Has anyone had any experience

Has anyone had any experience with
these small outboards? pro/con?
I am looking for something for a
coleman square stern scanoe.

" Jjfarnum, saw one one time o

" Jjfarnum, saw one one time on a jon boat full of girls, pushing it along at a good clip. It was rather noisy tho. I used to have a Cruz-n-Carry 1.5 on my canoe- pushed it verywell and one tank of gas lasted all day and then some.I'm not sure if they are still around.
Jay "

" I have one, with the Sears G

" I have one, with the Sears Gamefisher labels but still the same as the current TOB-300. I am very pleased with it.
Pro: Its aircooled, plow through muddy bottoms (I have)without impeller worries. The Dual drive works well, allowing you to throttle down into "neutral" without shutting down. It comes with a 3 blade aluminum prop. The design is simple and easy to maintain, but well made. It pushes my 12' Vhull with a 350lb load @ 6mph on my GPS. I recently ran a 13.5 mile trip and used 1.5 quarts of gas. You can download and print the entire parts schematic at www.tanakapowerequipment.com All part #s are listed and their service people are helpful, took 4 days to receive my replacement gas cap.
Con: Yessir, its loud! This engine is basically an oversized weedwacker with a prop. Not too bad up to half throttle, but at WOT youll make no friends in a crowded anchorage at dawn. I run mine in the warm saltwater of S Fla and have discovered a few parts that require corrosion treatment, remove the cowling and you will see where. The muffler is exposed on the side and can burn you if you dont pay heed. The gravity fuel system has only a wire mesh as a fuel filter, no problems if you clean it from time to time.
I have no qualms in recommending this little kicker as long as you get a chance to hear it run before you buy. "

" I had an older one that was

" I had an older one that was very loud - the exhaust used a lawn mower type muffler. My new one has the exhaust channeled into the water and is about as loud as any other motor. I like the dual clutch, prop stops turning at idle. Very light. If I had to do it again I might spend more and get the Nissan 3 hp. No reason other than I am concerned about quality with this engine. "

Back