Logo

70hp Evinrude cavitating

stevevan05

"I own a 17ft Lowe w/ a 70hp E

"I own a 17ft Lowe w/ a 70hp Evinrude. When I first take of my motor excellerates real fast like my prop is spinning but Im hardly going anywhere. When I pull the throttle back, then slowly forward it doesnt do it. Do I need a different prop. Someone said it might be cavitating and would possibly need a new one. Is this right and what size/pitch prop."

"Has it always done this? If s

"Has it always done this? If so check your motor height. The cavitation plate should be somewhere between even with to 1" above the bottom of the hull. If that is correct, you could have a spun prop. To check that, put marks opposite each other on the inner and outer parts of the hub. Take it for a ride, then recheck it and see if the marks are still lined up. If not, have the prop re-hubbed."

The boat doesnt cavitate going

The boat doesnt cavitate going down the lake just when I take off on a whole shot. If the prop is re-hubbed will it stop cavitating?

"You need to check it as expla

"You need to check it as explained. It may not be cavitating, it may be slipping on the hub. If its not slipping, then it doesn't need re- hubbed. Did you check the height?"

Back