Logo

Why did CC install a reverse rotation engine in the 251

mj251

Just wondering if anyone knows

Just wondering if anyone knows why Chris Craft built the catalina and express cruiser 251 line with a single reverse rotation engine in the first place. Was there any engineering or design reason or was simply because they were used to using reverse rotation engines? Also has anyone repowered with a standard rotation and what has been their experince with that configuration.

"Marinette did the same thing.

"Marinette did the same thing. I suppose it's so the prop rotation moves the stern to one side in a 'more acceptable' fashion. If you go the other way (and your rudder is offset to one side) it will handle poorly. If not, it should work fine. You'll need a RH prop, of course...

Jeff"

Re: "Gents, CC installed reverse

"Gents, CC installed reverse rotation engines in ALL single engine boats. Why? Beats the heck out of me, but we have a thread running now on this subject and so far nobody has been able ot answer it. http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1157641525

The thread may answer some questions, but not the one you asked!

regards, Dogsharks"

Don't forget engines installed Flywheel forward 4 right hand prop shaft rotation

I think it's to make the Stern hit the dock as you leave from a Starboard side Docking
or failed dockings in reverse :(

Last edited:
Chris Craft may have gotten into the habit way back in the flathead Hercules days, but it seems that virtually all single engine boats are reverse rotation when viewed from the back of the boat. As stated if a Q motor is used and it's flywheel forward then it's a standard rotation motor but by virtue of being backwards in the boat it's still spinning a RH prop and considered to be a reverse rotation installation. The rudder is offset just a bit to allow the shaft to come out and to help counteract torque a bit, but there is really no reason why someone couldn't swap in a standard rotation motor, providing the transmission is adaptable (some are, some are not). Regards, Paul

Back