Logo

TrimTilt throttle switch sticking

M

Mike Fowler

" HELP....I am having a proble

" HELP....I am having a problem with the trim/tilt switch for my 2000 Mercury. If not used for a week, it does not work until I work with it for several minutes...then it will work on the down position only. After several more minutes it usaully works OK, but lately it is sticking which is interesting when running. I think the contacts in the throttle need to be cleaned but I can't figure out how to remove the switch to clean it. Is this something I can do or should I take it to the dealer? Thanks for any help.
Mike "

"Mike,

There are a few diff

"Mike,

There are a few different remote control units that are used by Mercury, however, the tilt/trim switch on all models is easily removed from the shift handle.

I would advise you to disconnect the wires at the pump motor first, and make sure that the problem is not there. You should have two wires there, probably a blue and a green. Connect one to ground and the other to positive, then reverse the connections. The engine should tilt up or down depending on the direction of electrical flow.

If that checks out, you can remove the wires at the switch and try connecting them manually. You should have three wires there; red, blue and green. Touch the red wire to the blue wire and see if the pump runs. Then touch the red wire to the green wire. If the pump does not operate in both directions when you do this, the problem is in the wires or the relays at the engine.

Tony"

" Tony,
Thanks for the help..

" Tony,
Thanks for the help....I really appreciate the response.

I checked the pump at the motor as you listed above and all works great. I have been using the manual trim/tilt on the motor in lieu of the throttle switch when not working properly.

Of note, if I wash the boat and get water in the throttle area, it seems to assist the throttle trim/tilt into working....which leads me to think it is corrosion and/or bad wiring and the water helps finalize the connection.

I looked into removing the switch on the throttle but it seems to be self contained. I think it is just glued to the main throttle but not sure if I can just pry it off then reattach with glue when finished.

Again, Tony, thank you for your assistance. I am trying to avoid losing the boat to the shop for a minor inconvienence on my part.
Mike "

" Mike,

What type of contro

" Mike,

What type of control box do you have? How does it mount? If you can describe it to me or send a picture, I can tell you how to remove the switch.

Tony "

" Tony,
Thanks for your help

" Tony,
Thanks for your help and I will give an explanation a try as I don't own a digital camera....yet.

The boat make is Key West 1520 EX with 2000 Merc 75. It is a side consol boat with the throttle mounted next to the consol. It looks like your standard throttle with the shaft coming up to the handle being thin diameter stainless steel. The handle (where the trim/tilt is mounted) is molded plastic which fits the palm pretty good. IT is solid with what looks like a inside cap GLUED? housing the T/T and there is residue of glue at the seam. I was told by a mechanic the whole throttle assembly needed to be replaced on this setup, which doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty good mechanically but this is very perplexing.

Hope this helps and AGAIN, thanks for your time.
Mike "

" Mike,

Is the switch mount

" Mike,

Is the switch mounted on the side of the handle or on top?

Tony "

" Tony,
The switch is mounted

" Tony,
The switch is mounted on the left side ( right handed thumb) of the handle. Thanks again,
Mike "

" Mike,

There are a couple

" Mike,

There are a couple of control boxes that seem likely.

Is the throttle shaft tubular stainless steel with a slight bend to the left just below the plastic grip?

Is the plastic grip T-shaped?

Tony "

" Tony,
Thank you and I apolo

" Tony,
Thank you and I apologize for taking so much of your time. Yes, the throttle shaft has a slight bend just below the plastic grip and the grip is T-shaped (somewhat, it is wider on the left side where the T/T switch is attached)

Thanks again,
Mike "

" Mike,

Mercury used only o

" Mike,

Mercury used only one throttle handle that fits your description, though there were some variations in the way the tilt switch connected to the harness.

The plastic insert that the switch sits in is removed first, the the switch can be pushed out. I don't think these parts should be glued in, but someone might have done that. Maybe a little bit of silicone was used to keep the water out. A little prying should work.

You may have to remove the whole throttle shaft to separate the wires. There should be a set screw at the very bottom of the base of the shaft. Removing this screw allows you to pull the throttle arm off of the box.

The plastic grip and shaft are one part; they are not serviced separately.

Tony "

Back