Logo

Warning Horn

rkersh409

Contributing Member
"I have a 1995 Evinrude 175hp

"I have a 1995 Evinrude 175hp Intruder. Today when I took the boat out the horn would stay on 50% of the time when I turn the key on. Some times it would beep and go off just like normal. Sometimes it would stay buzzing until I cranked the motor and then it would go away. And others it would stay on even with the motor cranked.

I was wondering what does the self check. Is it the ignition switch or is it the horn itself? I really don't think that there is an alarm. It rained bad last night and I think water got into the controls. Also I think my warning horn was going out anyway. When I would turn the key on it would beep like normal then it would start ticking like a clock except faster.

Thanks,
Robert"

"Joe I will try that when I ge

"Joe I will try that when I get home tonight. Just for my curiosity what give the momentary ground for the self check? The warning horn or the ignition switch?

Thanks,
Robert"

The circuitry within the warni

The circuitry within the warning horn itself provides that momentarily switch on beep.

"Joe this is strange, just lik

"Joe this is strange, just like the rest of the boat. When I took it apart and pulled off the tan wire it would not beep. When I put the tan wire back on with the key still on it would not beep. After a few seconds it would start trying to beep, like a sick horn. Then it would get loud and steady.

I ohmed out the tan wire and I get .142M ohms. It's not a hard ground though.

Also when I have the key on, and its not beeping I can shake the ignition switch and it will start beeping.

I have no idea if its the horn or something else. What do you think?

Thanks,
Robert"

Joe I know where all my tan le

Joe I know where all my tan leads are except for the oil tank. Where does that tan lead tie into the motor wiring harness? I have the wireing diagram in the manual but it does not show the oil tank portion.

"I retired before that engine

"I retired before that engine came into existence, however that two wire assy from the tank usually leads to the engine with one wire connected to a powerhead ground and the other wire connected to a TAN wire that protrudes from the engine's wiring harness."

"Joe I disconnected each tan w

"Joe I disconnected each tan wire at a time. Come to find out its the oil tank float. While the horn was beeping I pulled the tan wire off of the float and it stopped. But when I plugged it back in it would not beep. So I went back up to the horn and tapped it and it started beeping. Sometimes it would set it off and some times it wouldn't. But at least I know what it is now.

Now my question is how does it work, and how do I fix it? Also do I really need the alarm lead connected? I can easly see my tank and tell if its low.

Thanks again Joe for all the help.
Robert"

"I had the same problem. Bough

"I had the same problem. Bought manual, worked closely with a good mechanic. Ran tests on different components that would trigger alarm. When you stated that it would tick like a clock, I was reminded of my symptoms. I would start the engine on the muffs at home. After about half a minute the alarm would start to tick non-stop. When I turned off the engine but turned the key back on it would tick for about half a minute and then fade out. Tan wire disconected and no horn. I ordered oil sending unit complete with wireing, bulb and hose. No problem since. Hope this helps."

You can eliminate the low oil

You can eliminate the low oil sensor unit as long as you faithfully keep track of the oil level. Just be sure to pass along that info should you sell the rig with it still disconnected.

Back