Logo

Wireing fire order

J

Jim Essex

"HELP!
My friends boat has tw

"HELP!
My friends boat has twin v 8 7.4 Marine Power engines. We replaced the plugs and wires and the port side engine is fine but the other side is fowling the plugs and poping. I need the fireing order for both sides and the cylender numbers and where one starts on the distributor. If the engine doing fine is #1 on the distributor @ 12:30 and the front of the motor on the port side is the #1 cylender. The distributors both rotate clockwise.
Can someone email me the solution?
Thanks,
Jim Essex"

"Jim, If you have verified th

"Jim, If you have verified that both distributors are rotating clockwise, you have two LH or standard rotation motors. Firing order is 18436572 and #1 cylinder is front on the left bank. The #1 wire location on the cap can be anywhere. Normally it is at 11:00, but depending on the year, might be 7:00. Crusader used both locations for wire routing reasons. If someone has had the distributor out and did not reinstall it in the same position, they may have moved the wires to compensate for being off a few teeth, or more. You can reset it by bringing #1 cylinder to TDC on compression stroke, then removing and reinstalling the distributor so that the rotor is pointing to what ever post you are using for #1 on the other engine. This way they will both be the same and will be less confusing the next time your friend removes the wires without paying attention to where they came from. (Sorry, but I had to get that in)

Good luck
Rick"

Back