Logo

Volvo 270 new installation

chrismeyer

"Hi Guys, new to this site, am

"Hi Guys, new to this site, am in the process of swapping 2 )MC 400 drives for a single engine setup using a Volvo 270 leg. Does anyone have any information about transom height/position for the leg and whether the steering arm bearing has to be above the water line, it doesn't seem to have a seal, just a plastic washer. I want to set the engine as low as possible to give more headroom. Chris. This is the boat if anyone is interested

http://www.mycleopatra.co.uk/gallery/chris"

"The existing engines are FORD

"The existing engines are FORD 2.5 DI rated at about 75hp, we're keeping the best of these as this is more than enough power on the river.

Chris"

"There is not only the steerin

"There is not only the steering shaft to take into considderation, but the manifold raiser's height above waterline. Min 3" would be required, but that is depending a little on how the waterline changes when You 'load' it down at the back. As for the steering shaft system,I would recommend not deeper than the top cover of the drive is above waterline. In general I would not recomend a 270 drive at all, but a 280 with the possibility of running a 16" dia long hub prop. (needs a locking screw in center of the prop cone and a short cone). You will probably not get the 16" on the 270 due to the exhaust outlet."

"Trouble is we've already

"Trouble is we've already got the 270 leg, it came with a 15 x 17 prop with a centre locking screw, our previous OMC's pushed her along at river cruising speeds with a 14 x 13 prop so I figure we'll have plenty of shove for our needs. The manifol does have a swan neck so will be well above the waterline, but we're blanking off the exhaust port and running a wet exhaust through the transom. The top cover above waterline is just about deep enough for my internal refit. Thanks for the quick response Chris"

Back