Logo

98 150 FICHT Spark Plugs

chieftb

"Can anyone tell me what plugs

"Can anyone tell me what plugs I should be using and what the gap should be? The data card on the transum mounts calls for PZFR5F (No Make) with gap .080 in. (it looks like an .080" but I am more inclined to believe .030") Must say .080" seems too much to me. (Can't source these plugs with that number). Owners manual is of no help. One dealer suggests Champion XC12PEPB. (no gap setting advice) Another dealer suggests Champion RCPYP (no gap setting) I am having problems with carbon build up in all cylinders except on the lowest one on the Port side bank. This cylinder has no signs of carbon but the plug is wet when I remove it. (is this normal for this engine) The plugs in the other cylinders are very black with carbon after about 30 minutes run @ 4600 rpm. I thought it may be the fuel as there's alcohol mixed fuel added to the regular unleaded in an aluminum tank. With one so clean (seems to be firing as engine runs smooth.) If anyone can clarify what the proper plug and gap should be I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any ideas besides fuel or plugs I would welcome the information as well. I tried the engine on good gas and it seemed to run good but still lots of carbon. Also, at beginning engine stalled and was hard to start but that may of been due to old gas in line at beginning as engine eventually started and ran good after that."

"Ficht plugs on the early mode

"Ficht plugs on the early models are a jungle! It all depends on which modifications has been made on the engine and which mapping You have in the ECU.
There is unfortunately only one way to tell,visit a dealer that knows the Fichts and has the correct service info from OMC/BRP. Ask him to check if Your heads have been changed to the ones with spark plug deflectors or not and which mapping version You have.
As for the 'wet' plug, I take it as a signal of a cylinder not performing. Have the same dealer do a cylinder drop test, ignition fireing test and injector test. Even a comp test might be to recommend.
What to note is that theese engines during one of the updates got their max rpm range changed wich for a lot of engines lead to a prop change. If Your engine does not reach the max rpm, think to remember 5700, it will carbon down completely on lower rpm and even most probably piston/con rod bearing failures."

Back