Logo

1983 Carver Riviera 2Crusader 305220hp rochester carbs

"Just purchased this 28ft Carv

"Just purchased this 28ft Carver in May. Previous owner took pretty good care of it for last five years.Motors are original at 1200hrs each, but, start on 1st or 2nd try and idle and run smoothly, no noise or leaks, and appear to have newer plugs, wires, and distributors.

Now the problem - while making a return 2 day run to Toronto from a cruise to Thousand Islands at a constant cruise at 3000rpm, the starboard engine "hic-uped" periodically. By "hic-up", I mean the engine would loose 2-300 rpm for 3-4 seconds and then recover to a smooth run at it's original 3000 rpm. I did not touch the controls in any way, it simply recovered on it's own. This happened about once an hour on the first day during it's 3 hour leg. Water was relatively calm all day.

On the 2nd day (3-4ft waves)boat again ran great for 1st hour then again the hic-ups, during the 3 hour final leg, but now the hic-ups are more frequent at once every 2o minutes, and each one is longer than the last ie 3-400 rpm loss at first and 5-600 rpms and 6-8 seconds to recover on the last hic-up. The motor never stalled, but came close to it on the last couple of hic-ups as I neared my destination.

Both engines were fed from the SAME fuel tank (so I geuss I can rule out fuel contamination).

I'm no mechanic, but am a reasonable screw-turner" and I like to do all the "grunt work" on the posible obvious problems, before wasting the valuable time of a "pro". Am I looking at a carburetor float problem? or possibly a fuel pump problem?
I haven't done anything yet,except read this forum with great interest.....there is certainly a lot of similar problems here.....but I think mine is just a bit different. Any suggestions would MOST appreciated.

Regards Warren"

"Sounds like ignition to me bu

"Sounds like ignition to me but can't be sure. You can check if it is a carb problem by swapping carbs on the engines an seeing if the problem swaps also. Check all the fuel feed lines for any cracks or checkering. A cracked or lose suction line will cause problems also. Where the fuel line is attached to the carb is a small filter on the q-jet, check this."

I agree with BR. check ignitio

I agree with BR. check ignition. sounds like You are dropping a cylinder. can be a real bitch to diagnose intermittants like that. good luck.

"by the way, trent severn is a

"by the way, trent severn is a cool trip! did it nearly 40 years ago, and still remember. beautiful country up there."

Back