Logo

1993 43LX Merc Cold Start Problem

"I have thought about this sce

"I have thought about this scenario some more (dangerous, admittedly!).
Earlier in this topic it was said that the fuel inlet to the Qjet carb is low in the bowl, and so perhaps is the Weber. So once the engine is shut off, the fuel in the lines, pump, filter, and carb bowl all wants to drain back to the tank; the low point in the system. The only thing holding it back is the inlet needle and seat in the carb bowl. (Not sure if there are any other check valves in the system?)
The needle and seat in the carb will remain closed as long as the bowl is full and the float is high. Now suppose a small amount of fuel leaks, or evaporates, over one, two, or 3 days, and the float drops a tiny amount. Bingo, the needle unseats, and the remaining fuel quickly drains back to the tank.
Result: The next cold start is a tedious event involving much starter grinding, throttle pumping, and cursing, waiting for the electric fuel pump to refill the bowl. And your battery better be in good shape, or you are out of luck.
Seems to me the easy answer is to momentarily bypass the oil switch and prime the carb with the electric pump, as suggested above, before every cold start.
And maybe its a good thing that the carb empties itself after a few days. That way there is no issue with dried up fuel residue from last year to muck up the jets, etc.
Sorry this got a bit long.
Any thoughts on this, anyone? Roger? Guy?
Rod"

"I have seen fuel contaminatio

"I have seen fuel contamination and corrosion residues in a dry bowl that are due to bad fuel, moisture produced corrosion in the fuel system, a lack of fuel preservative and plain neglect.

Anything is possible with a mechanical device requiring fuel rentention to restart it. I am still leaning toward there being a leakage of fuel. The carb is a maximum of 14 years old--it could have any of a # of problems pertaining to fuel loss. The carb needs to be carefully gone over and rebuilt with a careful inspection of major parts for micro leaks in the form of cracks, gaskets not sealing due to part distortion and leaking casting plugs. A fuel pump output test should also be performed per service manual guidelines. Is there a fuel pressure regulator on this carb? Not the float amd needle valve."

Back