Logo

Wiring 1963 Evinrude 75HP Electric Shift

"I purchased an Boat/engine on

"I purchased an Boat/engine on eBay a couple months ago- and am happy to report I got a good deal. However, the engine was not "original" to the boat. I got the controls and wiring, but not the "dash". I have a 1964 Wiring diagram (that is supposed to be the same)But there are a couple differences. See the photo below:
25621.jpg
dashwiring"">

1) What is the White w/red stripe wire for? It goes into the control box to the 6-pin connector, but I lose it after that. What should it connect to at the "dash"?

2)What is the Red w/White stripe wire for? I assume it is for the electric shift, but that wire is not included in the '64 diagram (only the green and blue). It traces to the 3-pin connector in the main control box, where it joins the Blue and Green (Forward-Reverse) wires for the shift. Does this wire connect to the IGN terminal on the Ignition Switch?

I am going to build my own custom dash panel to mount the Ammeter, Tachometer, Ign Switch, and warning lights.

Thanks,
Ray"

"Vis- My '63 engine (E

"Vis- My '63 engine (Evi Starflite- model 75393) has an "automatic choke". So, There are no wires for the choke at all. There isn't even a wire "available" in the area for other '63 models that may have had an electric choke.

My '67 Evi Sportfour has a choke solenoid, the red w/white stripe wire does go to it. But, that red/wt wire doesn't on the '63 Starflite. It goes into a 3-prong connector with the Blue & Green shift wires.

The wiring harness that came with the boat may not be "original" for a '63 Starflite. I question this because it has a Johnson Electromatic shifter assembly. I don't know if the harness/control box is for a period Johnson, or just the Throttle/shift controller itself. The plugs-ins match up as do the wires on the engine itself.

I just looked at the '67 Evi wiring diagram- It shows the white w/red wire as being an "internal resistance wire" that goes from the ign switch "IGN terminal to the + side of the coil. Was this the same in 1963? The 1964 Wiring Diagram shows the resistor wire being very short- It connects to a RED wire with a knife-connector.
Where does the coil receive it's power from on a '63 Selectric?

Ray"

"Just curious?
what guage are

"Just curious?
what guage are the wires?
according to the diagram, you have ten wires going into the harness--are there ten pins on the inside?
From what I can see it looks like you have everything you need to run the boat without these two wires connected--is that true??
I suspect they are low guage wires for some type of accessory--the opposite color codes makes me think this--kind of like you car, if you look under the hood you can find connectors that are not connected to anything--
i may be wrong about this but i am curious"

"Tom,
The Red/Wt is 18ga.

"Tom,
The Red/Wt is 18ga.
The Wt/Red is larger- 16ga

I'm just trying to find out if they are needed. I have a scan of the '64 wiring- and they are not shown anywhere on it. My engine is a '63 75HP Starflite... I do not know if the wiring harness and control box are original to the engine (but it looks like it). I KNOW the Throttle/Shifter assembly itself is NOT for my engine- because it's for a Johnson. The plugs match though- so it seems to be interchangeable. I believe the original Evinrude Throttle/Shifter had (3) pushbuttons for shifting (F-N-R). The Johnson doesn't have any buttons, just the red-slider for the START position. which I assume kicks the gearcase into nuetral for starting. I "think" the Red/Wt wire is for that- but I don't want to hook it up without knowing. The last thing I want to do is burn out some shifter parts.

Can anyone send me a quality scan of the Johnson Electromatic wiring?
[email protected]

Ray"

Ray:
I cant help you with the

Ray:
I cant help you with the diagram as I dont have any manuals for motors over 40 hp--
have you tried contacting the ebay seller?

"Well, I did some tracing with

"Well, I did some tracing with my volt/ohm meter and found that the White w/red stripe wire is the "power" to the coil. It gets there indirectly but it must be hooked up to the IGN terminal on the switch- to get any spark.
I put the motor in the barrel and fired her up. She ran rough for a minute or so- then started smoothing out. A few carb adjustments, and I had a good idle. Water pump was doing it's job with a good deal of water from the exaust.
Shifting worked well... I could tell because huge plumes of water exited the barrel very quickly- soaking everything within 10 feet. I shut it down, and it will have to wait for the boat for further testing and adjustments

25636.jpg
running

Not sure about the wires but t

Not sure about the wires but the start lever is just for giving the engine a little throttle so it will idle higher for a faster warm up.
The start lever has no control over the shifting other than the shifter handle shouldn't move out of neutral while the start lever is moved up to keep from putting it in gear at to fast a rpm which could damage the lower unit.

"Raymond,

I will try attach

"Raymond,

I will try attaching the diagram below, in PDF format:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">1963 75HP starflite
[url=""][b]service_75hp_evin_dwg_temp2_small.pdf[/b][/url] (148.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Thank-you very much Andrew...

"Thank-you very much Andrew....
That diagram has all the wires I need on it. As suggested by "visitor"... the red/wt wire is for the choke, but my engine is not equipped with the solenoid- so it's not there. Mine has an automatic choke- with a manual bypass.
The White/Red wire is the Resistor Wire for the coil. I figured that out earlier by using my ohmmeter to see where it ran.
Happy to say that the engine appears to be in good shape- Good compression and it starts and runs now... Quite a bargain for $127.50 (I got the boat and trailer too!)
25647.jpg
boat-trailer-motor"">

Ray"

Back