Logo

Question for joe

Joe... I have a 1960s Mercury

Joe... I have a 1960s Mercury 20H.P. Do you know were I can find the model number on it? Can you tell me if it has a water pump if so can you tell me were it is located.

Thanks in advance Joe.

Jordan F.

This is a question for Joe. W

This is a question for Joe. What is the correct timing for a 1987 Johnson 115 when running mid grade gas.

"Hacsaw.... Tony is the Mercur

"Hacsaw.... Tony is the Mercury Tech my friend. Re-post that question and aim it at him. He'll be quick to have the answer for you I'm sure.

Joe
"

"J.J.... Your question is bein

"J.J.... Your question is being listed under a topic pertaining to a 1960 20hp Mercury. If you're reading this, when you're done, hit your back button to the previous page that lists all of the member topics. Page down to the bottom of that page and you'll see a large button there that states "Create New Conversation" (something of that nature). Click on that button and your message will be entered under your own topic and at the top of the list. You did contact me via e-mail also, which I answered so I will enter a duplicate of my answer here for others who might obtain some benefit of my reply.

To set the timing on that 1987 115hp Evinrude, with the s/plugs out, and with the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary). Rig a spark tester and have the spark gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less that what the engine calls for. In your case, the engine calls for 28° so set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°.

If you set the engine to its true setting (28°) at cranking speed, when running it will advance to 32° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

You have some doubt as to what engine you have.
The 120 and 140 are "Loop Charged" engines which incorporate four (4) single throat plastic like carburetors that are contained (hidden) within a huge carburetor face plate. The 115 is a "Cross Flow" engine that has two (2) metal dual throat carbs that are in plain sight with a moderate sized face plate attached to the front of the carbs.

Your engine has a plate on the port transom bracket or on the top of the swivel bracket that contains the model and serial numbers of the engine. The model number reveals the horsepower and year. There is also a core plug on the powerhead (looks like a quarter size freeze out plug) that also has those numbers. Get that "Model Number" to me and I'll pinpoint exactly what you have.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" joe I have an older 2.5 john

" joe I have an older 2.5 johnson ,it does not have a gear box, to reverse engine it swivels 180 degrees, when you start engine it is in gear, is there a clutch ?? it was on a sailboat and was made in belguim, any help would be appreciated.
Vince "

"Merclow.... If you're spe

"Merclow.... If you're speaking of the single cylinder engine, that one has a straight through shaft (so to speak)... when it's running, it's in gear. However, if memory serves me right, there were some very older models that did have a spring like affair to obtain a neutral position. What is the model number of that engine?

Joe
"

joe the model # is J3RCCM se

joe the model # is J3RCCM serial# is B7673027 I hope this helps?? Vince

"That's a 1988 2.5hp Johns

"That's a 1988 2.5hp Johnson which does not have a neutral setup. When it's running, it is in gear always.

In 1988, there was a model J4RCC Johnson which was a 4hp. This 4hp did have the neutral setup.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" joe thank you very much, gue

" joe thank you very much, guess I will have to be pointed to were I want to go before I start up.
Vince "

Joe I have another johnson 6.

Joe I have another johnson 6.5 or 7.5 engine model # CD- 22M What year would it be ??
Thanks for any help Vince

Joe once again I thank you it

Joe once again I thank you it is really great to have some one like you out there helping all of us novices Vince

Back