Logo

Mercury 110 98 hp recoil starter problems

G

geotreb

"Ok,
Here is the short story.

"Ok,
Here is the short story.

and here is the a link to a diagram to show what I'm talking about (Thanks Crowley Marine)
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/453/2.cfm

Armed with an ancient Seloc manual, I ripped my engine apart to time, change and gap points etc.
To get to all this stuff, I was overzealous and (well, all my Seloc manual said was "removed recoil starter", that was it, the only instuction)
So, in my haste i managed to turn the left hand thread on the recoil starter the wrong way and stripped out the little notch on the starter spring retainer (#30 on the diagram I've linked to) and pulled the cup of the sheeve shaft past the shaft and broke it off (# 43 in the diagram).

So, it sounds pretty screwed up, and rather than pay $50 in parts, I ground down and brazed the stripped out, and broken parts. Nothing rough, nothing burred. Looked fine to me.

Since my old Seloc manual was less than helpful with the recoil starter, I decided to purchase and more up-to-date online Seloc manual...

I have put this thing together exactly as stated, adjust the recoil, tightened the nut and voila: The whole works seems to be seized up.

Now, I know it might seem that my welded parts are less than perfect, but I'd filed them smoothed them.. and they seem to me to be true, smooth, and straight.

Also, my seloc manual says this:

"9. Install another NEW wavy washer onto the flat washer.

10. Install a NEW return spring between the sheave and the pawl retainer plate, and then position the plate over the pawls. Place the fiber washer over the pawl retainer plate."

The joke is, unless I'm going nuts, is I didn't see a "return spring" between the sheave and pawl retainer plate, nor did i see th "fiber washer" to be placed of the pawl retainer plate.

Is this part of my problem? could this be why I'm all bound up? I do know this, as soon as I get everthing put together and then tenion the spring, everything seems great - then, once I tighten down lefthand nut (but by a few turns) that's when I run into trouble.

I am super frustrated. I know this thing has to be able to turn independantly.. I have followed my Seloc to the T and referenced the diagram that I attached.. and yet, here I am...

Any advice for this sort of starter, before I go nuts?
Thanks!

Matt"

Back