Logo

Spark Tester RigSet Up ideas

johnt

"I'm well aware of the nee

"I'm well aware of the need to check for spark and am equally aware that holding the plug to the block is a poor way to do that. Joe, I see you use the figure of 7/16" a lot and I'm wondering how I could set up such a tester. My initial thoughts involve a piece of wood and a couple of finishing nails driven in and bent over to get the heads 7/16" apart. Then could I just take a piece of wire from the plug boot to a nail and a wire from the other nail back to the block?? I'm wondering what your rig looks like. Seems too simple to work, so I thought I'd ask...
JT"

"It sounds like you've alr

"It sounds like you've alrady read the following.

Spark Tester - Home Made
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a couple nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4"

John - This tester of Joe'

John - This tester of Joe's really works. I'm waiting to get my hands on a piece of scrap Paxolin to make up a more permanent and robust version. Its a very worthwhile tool to have around.

Back