Logo

Winterising my 1969 35hp Chrysler outboard

E

evolution 8

"Need, help. I dont have a cl

"Need, help. I dont have a clue on what to do or if i should do anything.

This engine runs perfect, and i would like to keep it that way.

What should i do?"

"Fuel System:
o Put stabilize

"Fuel System:
o Put stabilizer in your fuel and run the engine long enough to get the stabilizer into the carb.
o Drain fuel lines, tank

Cooling system:
o Flush sytem
o Replace impeller

Ignition:
o Clean & gap plugs, replace if necessary.
o Clean & cap points

Cylinders:
o Spray with fogging oil just prior to storage

Mechanical:
o Use a grease gun to lubricate all grease points

Gearcase:
o Drain lower unit & refill with Hypoid 90. If water is present or oil is murky, then the case needs resealing
o Make sure weep holes are clear

Store motor upright (in a climate controlled environment if possible). Do not store with weight on the skeg.

I think I may have an electronic copy of the parts manual if you are interested."

"If it's running well, I w

"If it's running well, I wouldn't touch the plugs or points or water impeller. It's a good idea to inspect the impeller at the beginning of the season, but I wouldn't change it unless it's more than a couple of years old or showing signs of fatigue.
Points and plugs? Unless you are experienced in doing this, pulling the flywheel and adjusting the points may do more harm than good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Clean and gap the plugs when you fog the cylinders. I also spray fogging oil into the carb intake and crank the motor 3 or 4 times to ensure the bearings all get a good coating of oil on them."

Back