Logo

Removing lower engine cover

brown_94

I recently bought a 1972 Glast

I recently bought a 1972 Glastron with a 1992 Mercury model 800 80 hp. After spending over $750.00 already I'm VERY ANXIOUS to save $ on another repair. My "boat doctor" said I need a new gasket on the plate that the spark plugs go into. Being mechanically inclined he said I could do this myself to save money. He charges $59.00 per hour. I removed all the bolts but the two on the very bottom (of course the hardest ones to reach) both broke off. I have the tools and knowhow to remove them for replacement but my problem is I can't seem to be able to remove the case at the bottom of the motor to be able to reach them. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Photos or pages from a manual would be very helpful. Thanks.

"<center><table border=1><tr><

"<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""application/octet-stream"">
[url=""][b]motor3.alb[/b][/url] (2.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""application/octet-stream"">
[url=""][b]motor6.alb[/b][/url] (2.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

[url=""][b]motor6.alb[/b][/url] (2.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

I do not believe that the 92 m

I do not believe that the 92 motors had a "lower cowling".Your pictures will not display on my screen.

"Chris,

Your photos have an

"Chris,

Your photos have an ".alb" file extension... they should be .gif" or .jpeg or .jpg""

"Cris,

The 800 model was la

"Cris,

The 800 model was last manufactured in 1979.

In the Nineties, the entire cowling was comprised of two halves, which separated and could be removed easily. There was no separate bottom cowling on these models.

Tony"

SORRY. MY BOAT DOCTOR CORRECTE

SORRY. MY BOAT DOCTOR CORRECTED HIMSELF. 1982...NOT 1992. The "model 800" part was just my guess. I'm very outboard illiterate. Again...Sorry.

"Chris, If water is leaking a

"Chris, If water is leaking around the spark plugs, you can apply some silicone caulk in order to stop the leak. This is a common problem on these motors. In addition, the "plate" that the spark plugs go into, is removable without removing the lower cowling. Check to see if the bolts that hold it on are tapped into the block, or are thru-bolts with nuts. If is likely that you will break some of these bolts, if you try to remove them. If they are thru-bolts, it will be easier to fix"

"Chris, Sorry about that last

"Chris, Sorry about that last post. I obviously didn't read your original post. if you want to remove the lower cowling, you need to remove the powerhead. The powerhead bolts to the midsection. You will need to remove the four screws that hold on the trim piece located below the lower cowling. You will need a powerhead base gasket. I also recommend you remove the lower unit (6 bolts, one of which is hidden below the zinc trim tab), since it will be hard to reinstall the powerhead, if the LU is still attached."

I concede temporary defeat!!!

I concede temporary defeat!!! Got powerhead loose but could'nt lift it by myself. Took stupid boat to stupid boat doctor Mon. should be back fishing by Saturday. Thanks for all the help from everyone who responded.

Back