Logo

Shift problems71 IMP v6 shift elect Electric switch

L

Larry Henry

"I installed another shift ele

"I installed another shift elect on boat today. 2-20-02 , Boat starts good. Goes into Reverse and out ok. Won't go into forward gear when shifted! Shifter shifts forward but no ingagement. Any idea's ? [email protected]

" Larry.... I/Os are not my li

" Larry.... I/Os are not my line of expertise but the electric shift set up is something that would apply to any OMC product that has an electric shift lower unit. At the engine/outdrive section, look for a cable that leads to the lower unit assy. It will no doubt have two rubber boot insulators that you can slide back that will expose two wires (1 Green, 1 Blue) that will be connected to other like wires with knife connectors. If you have the straight electric shift type lower unit (which I suspect you do), applying 12v to one wire will engage forward gear, 12v to the other wire would engage reverse.

With the ENGINE NOT RUNNING and with the ignition key in the ON POSITION, check to see if you have those voltages to the proper wire when you engage the shift handle.

EXTREME CAUTION HERE! If the above aspect is okay or even if it isn't, you can check the lower unit itself for proper shifting by having the engine running, and using a jumper wire, apply 12v to one wire (just momentarily) that leads to the lower unit and then the other. The unit should jump into either gear mode when you apply that voltage. If it doesn't, obviously a problem exists within the lower unit.

NOTE: You can also do the jumper wire test as above with the engine not running if you have someone spinning the prop while you're applying voltage.

Hope this info is of some use to you.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

"Maybe you can tell me somethi

"Maybe you can tell me something on this I found. .. I bought a book on the motor and elect shift. It showed me how to test to make sure the switch was working on the shift.
What I found was the green wire which is the forward gear. Was hot no matter what I gear I was in, Reverse or natural or forward. It remained hot all the time.
I disconnected the plug in box from the shifter of wires. Found the plug in box that run from back of boat up to forward. Still some how had the green wire in it hot. So no switch to kick power to it was attached. I am assuming that wire came straight from the lower unit to the plug box.
Now if the coil was bad in lower unit. Could it some how short back and make this green wire hot all the time somehow, with no power from iginition to green wire?
Thanks Larry, Kansas City Mo.
Email: [email protected]"

"Larry.... It's possible t

"Larry.... It's possible that you have the wrong switch. Check the switch with an ohm meter for the proper continuity.

NOTE.... disconnect the wires at the switch when making the continuity check to avoid feedback conditions.

OMC made two types of electric shift units. The first being a straight electric shift (yours?) which depended on voltages being applied to either the "Green" or the "Blue" wire as follows:

Neutral=No voltages applied.
Forward=12v applied to Green wire.
Reverse=12v applied to Blue wire.

The second type was a "Hydro Electric" shift setup (yours?). This unit (lower unit) had a spring loaded clutch dog which would stay in forward gear if no voltage was present.... a safety feature to have one stay underway should there be a power failure pertaining to the lower unit. In this case, the shift switch, with the key in the ON position would be as follows:

Neutral=12v applied to Green wire.
Forward=No voltage applied to either wire.
Reverse=12v applied to both wires, Green & Blue.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the mystery.

Joe
"

" I have a 1975 OMC 120hp Ster

" I have a 1975 OMC 120hp Sterndrive model #990224A1 and the engine runs great, but the outdrive just quit. We were moving along at about 3/4 speed and all of the sudden I had no thrust.
I read the insert by "Joereeves" from February 2002, and tried troubleshooting to find the problem.
With the engine off, I turned the ignition on and tested for voltage at the knife connectors and I have 12+ volts on both the blue and green when shifted into the appropriate direction(Forward=green and reverse=blue) and no voltage on either in neutral, which is as it should be. So I attempted to turn the prop and in neutral it turns freely, but it will not turn in either gear, which tells me that it shifted into gear.
I then hooked up my volt meter and started the engine. I am getting no voltage in neutral and I do get voltage when I put it in F or R on the correct wire, but the prop will not turn.
Where should I look next to figure this problem out?
We were in about 50 feet of water with no visible debris, hundreds of yards from shore, and my shear pin is still intact. This was the 7th or 8th time out since de-winterizing, and I had just checked the fluid in the lower unit prior to this trip.
I just bought the boat a year ago March, so I am not entirely familiar with it yet. I have owned boats with outboards for the last 28 years, but this is my first I/O. Is there something I may be overlooking? "

Hello Larry. MY name is Gary

Hello Larry. MY name is Gary. I have a 1985 Fourwinns with a 3.7 liter motor. I am having shifter problems. I have forward or reverse. Not both. I can adjust the shiffiter cable next to the motor and have either or. but when I adjust it to have forward or reverse it goes in fine. I have replaced the lower shift cable and that did not make a difference what should I do next.

Back