Logo

23 liter ford omc

nathanmi

Boat started and idled just fi

Boat started and idled just fine ran several minutes and got hot and started smoking. I was told it is the impeller. Just seeing if this might be true and how to change it.

"It is a 1987 bayliner capri.

"It is a 1987 bayliner capri. I gave it a tune up prior to putting it in the water. Changed plugs, wires, water seperator. started up fine then got hot started smoking and had no power and then died. I didn't try starting it after it died. Didn't want to do any further damage."

"Hate to ask but when you star

"Hate to ask but when you started it up after the tune up, did you have it on a hose or was it in the water?"

Hi Mike

I have a 3.0 GM the

Hi Mike

I have a 3.0 GM the drives are likley the same. First get a manual for the boat. It is not hard to change. I am sure you can get all you need from this site. I did.
Good luck

Frank

It is not that hard to change

It is not that hard to change the pump. Some say you should take the drive off the boat. I did not is your boat manual shift? If so don't pull on the cable. Get a manual read it then read it again. Find a nice cool place to work on it and go for it.
If I can fix mine. I'm sure you can fix yours.

Frank

"The 2.3 was only used on the

"The 2.3 was only used on the cobra. Tilt up the drive, take off the rear cover on drive, 3 screws, take off the impeller housing, another 3 screws. May be done in water, no need to remove drive or lift boat. Note that the 2.3 used the 'small' impeller."

"Using the diagram for a 2.3 b

"Using the diagram for a 2.3 below the rear cover that Morten mentions is # 63, then you take the impeller cover off # 11 (careful of the rubber o ring that goes all the way around the housing # 50) , the SS liner usually stays inside the housing, the impeller itself is # 12

Impeller PN 983895 or 777128, you can order all the parts from this site

Use this link for a better picture and all the PN's

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=comp&group=338&GroupList=322,323,324,327,328,329,330,331,332,333,334,335,336,363,338,339

282103.gif
"

"Thanks alot, that really help

"Thanks alot, that really helps. Hopefully that is what the problem was. At least it is a good place to start. Thanks again"

Put the new impeller in last n

Put the new impeller in last night. It seemed big because it was really tight putting it in but the guy at the shop said that is how it is supposed to be. Putting it in the water this weekend. Hope that was the problem.

"How'd the old impeller lo

"How'd the old impeller look? You can pretty much tell if that was the problem or not, just by the condition of the old one. If it's missin fins, and pretty much chunked out. Then it was obviously bad. Also, something to consider.... if it was missing fins and chunks, they had to of gone somewhere. It's a good idea to chase thru your cooling lines and look for any obstructions. Best you can anyways. And yes, it's going to seem like a really tight fit. It's recommended that you rub some marine grade grease around the inner s.s. liner too."

Back