Logo

351 windsor

fishermanmike

"Anyone know the h.p. for a 35

"Anyone know the h.p. for a 351 windsor with a holley 4 barrel. Also, on a previous post I read where a engine flooded from hooking up water muffs on the lower unit. Why did this happen? Also, where may I find a service manual? Thanks in advance."

"I'm guessing that you mea

"I'm guessing that you mean it flooded with water since you mentioned water muffs. There might be some ways. If the engine was not properly winterized an internal crack in the exhaust manifold, high pressure on the water, and the engine shut down would allow water to flood out a piston by seeping past an open exhaust valve. I know of one situation where after a heavy rain the pistons were flooded because the owner had the engine open and flame arrestor off, water entered through the carb directly to the open intake valves. Some Graymarines had water cooled intake manifolds if not winterized properly would open a direct line to the heads.
The 351 Windsor is one quick motor. I had one on an OMC model 800 many years ago. Had trouble with the cooling system sucking air, it was a troublesome setup with the model 400's and 800's You didn't say what you have for a lower unit. Mercrusier, OMC?
Cal"

"[b]"Anyone know the h.p.

""Anyone know the h.p. for a 351 windsor with a holley 4 barrel."

Ayuh,... Both Mercruiser,+ OMC rated them at 235hp with a 4bbl. carb..."

I have the OMC lower unit. Min

I have the OMC lower unit. Mines not flooded. And I am making sure not to. I`m going to flush out of a bucket with the muffs from now on. I cut a hole in the lid and made a simple bracket to hold the hose inside. The fill hose runs into the bucket also and just spills exxess out a vent holes. Thanks everyone.

"Yep, I believe it is more in

"Yep, I believe it is more in the range of 235 HP. I think Volvo gives them a rating of 240 + -.
I love the 5.8 engine..., but the small exhaust ports hold back a few ponies."

"Hi, I'm looking at a Dixi

"Hi, I'm looking at a Dixie Boat 1971 or older with a Halman Moody Engine, But don't know if it is a 302 or 351. Ser.# DOHM 3224 / CPM 235-A-4V. can anyone help?"

Back