Logo

Merc 150 no spark

bassfisherman

Hi

I have a 2001 merc 150

Hi

I have a 2001 merc 150 salwater series with no spark. I have tried to bypass kill switch and am changing plugs but can not get spark. Any ideas?

Thanks

"If you have the year stated c

"If you have the year stated correctly your model will have a computer controlled CDM ignition system.

When you say "no spark", sorry have to ask, that was tested with a timing light? Or the motor just won't fire and you suspect there is no spark.

On this particular ignition, no spark at all cylinders would normally only be caused by a toasted stator or a fried computer."

The motor was manufactured in

The motor was manufactured in Aug 2000 but I guess is a 2001. I tested the spark with a light. How would I know if the compouter is fried?

Thanks for the quick help

"For that you have to take her

"For that you have to take her in and have it hooked up to a computer, so find a Merc dealer.

The ddm or whatever they are calling it now will give a printout of the engine computer and all the various sensors - give you an answer in a few minutes.

It's definately the way to go. You can't work on these with a multi-meter and there's really no other way to diagnose an electronic problem on them - and simply swapping parts is way way too expensive."

"There is no computer in a car

"There is no computer in a carb 150. Only a black box ign. module. On top of the motor, the black box has a mob of wiring under the flywheel. The box has one black/yellow lead (bullet plug). Unplug it. If the spark comes back on, than trace that wire back to the dash. The kill switch may be stuck. Pull the wires off of it. ***Don't bypaas them togeher.***

If that does not work than suspect the stator.

THe EFI motor is a differant animal"

Thanks for the info. I bypass

Thanks for the info. I bypassed the kill switch before and still no spark. I pulled the flywheel and the stator has some black on it coming out of three of the coils. The trigger assembly has some cracks in it as well. I think I am going to get a new stator and trigger

Back