Logo

BellowsUjoint job AQ131D275

"I never got around to this la

"I never got around to this last fall, now it's time. Is there any description of the procedure on the 'net? The friendly local boat wrench gave me a quick lowdown on what to do last fall when he sold me the boot, but I have since forgotten his instructions.

Lastly, what's the deal on U-joints? If I only had a small tear in the boot and the U-joints look OK, can I leave them in there? They are kinda pricey and complicate the boot job somewhat.

Thanks! I guess since summer's almost here, this place will be getting busier!"

"Bob, if you conduct a search

"Bob, if you conduct a search in the forum posts you will find that we have discussed this several times. Basically, loosen the clamps from the bellows, then pull the upper gear (or the whole outdrive is you don't want to disturb the outdrive seals). The u-joint yoke will slide from the primary drive shaft.

No matter how small a tear you had in the bellows, if water has been in contact with the u-joints, then replace them.

Consider getting a copy of the Seloc manual if you are going to do your own repairs. Meanwhile, this manual can help.

http://www.mybayliner.co.uk/boatmad/280285290.pdf"

"Thanks El, Good to see you ar

"Thanks El, Good to see you are still around here helping us keep these old boats going! I should post back in here with my success story soon, I've got less than 2 weeks to get this rig in the water!"

"I agree w/ El P... replace th

"I agree w/ El P... replace them now.

Bob, I have a small V/P repair biz. I've done this many many times.
What I will suggest to you is to pull the transmission only first.
Four new O rings/one gasket are required and ya get to change your drive oil, of which you may want/need to do anyway!

Then if you have more drive work to do, go ahead and remove the Intermediate and lower unit.
It will be much easier for you if you do not do this routinely.
Even having done this as many times as I have, I still remove the trans first.
There is no sense in fighting the shift cable bracket, S hose and water neck fitting and the girth of the entire drive (even as light as these are).

The Universal Joint crosses are cheap.... you do not need to buy these through Volvo Penta.
You can use a name brand Spicer 5-1306X cross. About $12-14 each if you have any buying power at all.
Bellows through Sierra retail about $56.
Main drive seal about $15.
Misc O rings about $25 or less.

I'd strongly suggest a new shift mech seal, if nothing any further gets replaced.

."

"Ohhh! I got F*cked!

Lo

"Ohhh! I got F*cked!

Local shop got me for $120 for 2 u-joints! He was quite reasonable on the bellows o-rings last fall though. Grrrrr. I can live with 2x cost but I might have been taken for 4x cost. Dang. I shoulda come here before spending money locally, What a shame is that?

I only removed the top unit, Took all of 20 minutes. I'll drain the oil and re-fill before going out, though it looks good and only has 20 hours on it. I only got the big "5"?" o-ring and the little 1"? one with my bellows. New U-joints went right in, though they surely would have done another 1 or 2 of my seasons (maybe 40 hours/season?) silky smooth and no water in the grease when I drove them out.

Oh well...

BOAT Even if you are DIY Huh?

Thanks folks, great forum! And I do love this out drive!"

"Bob, you cannot take it with

"Bob, you cannot take it with you, so you may as well enjoy it now. This is the thought I hold in my mind whenever I have a look at the folder where I keep the bills that tell me how much I have spent in boating/fishing. That thought makes me feel better (even if at the expense of -to a point- fooling myself).
proud.gif
"

"Here is what I tell people:

"Here is what I tell people:
Boats are rarely investments and are always expenses.
We pour money in, and then we get to use it up as though we had burdened the cost of any other hobby or sport.

Bob, I have more money in my old 28' SDN F/B than I could ever get out of her, even on a good day.
New twin engines/DP drives, new transom, partial stringers, electrical upgrades, an so on.
She runs beautifully, very dependably, near perfectly. I'm just using her up and enjoying it.
At age 60, and after having done five partial + restorations, it's the last boat that I'll ever restore.... just too much dang work! LOL

."

Back