Logo

Hole in gas tank

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
"I am about to give up! Every

"I am about to give up! Everytime i fix one probleb anotherone pops up. I seem to have a hole in my gas tank, the main probleb with that is it is mounted under the floor! it is molded plactic,i dont see how it got a whole in it, it doesnt move. what is the way to get it out? Cut the floor, get a new one put the floor back?
Are these things designed to last forever? 1990 sunbird stinger
Thanks kev"

"Are you sure there is not a p

"Are you sure there is not a panel you can remove to access the tank? Should be. Feel around in the carpet for screw heads, they may be hard to see."

"Another thought Kevin... Dont

"Another thought Kevin... Dont know how long you've owned the boat, but a previous owner may have carpeted over the panel. Good luck"

It is quite possible that the

It is quite possible that the tank went in before the floor went down. There should always be access to the where the hoses attach and where the sender is but you may be looking at cutting the floor...bummer!

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
rain.gif
Ouch! That would suck... Oh well look on the bright side, soon you will have fixed everything!
sun.gif
"

would it be possible to add an

would it be possible to add an external tank? eg. an out board tank behind a stern seat if the tank was put in with a non removable floor?
Best regards "R"

And what about the remaining g

And what about the remaining gas and vapors from the damaged tank under the floor board?
You might hit the news as the 'new space shuttle' if You don't get it out!

"there is an acccess cover tha

"there is an acccess cover that allows you to get to the gauge, fuelpump line, fill line and vent line, no other access panel. could use a external tank.
Morten, that kinda worries me also, good thing I dont smoke, cuz I was at lake allday yesterday, glad starter didnt cause any sparks either. how do i get the vapors out?"

Don't be afraid of fixing

Don't be afraid of fixing it properly if you plan on keeping the boat for some time. Cutting into the floor and having a tank made is not that big a deal. Any good fiberglass repair shop can frame in a 2X4 sill(on edge) around the new opening and make a hatch cover that would screw down into the new sill. The new tank would also be secured by being screwed into the same 2X4's. These are encapsulated in fiberglass to prevent water damage to the wood. Once recarpeted all is good and next time you have easy access by lifting the hatch

"I have a 30 gallon metal tank

"I have a 30 gallon metal tank sitting in my backyard, right now came out of a 19' X-19 bowrider,should work for you just come and get it."

"Chiefalen, where do you live?

"Chiefalen, where do you live? wouldnt be Atlanta bu chance would it? NJ i see now, well thanks for the offer. Looks loke I will be doing somw cutting and fiberglassing! Yuck! have done it befoe, not my fav thing>
So i can just get any gas tank that fits in the hole of the old one right, doesnt have to be exact.\
I was going to redo my interior, get rid of back to back seats, put in two swival seats in the front, bulid flat cover across motor , build a bench across where the gastank is now, that would be open underneath it so I could put an external tank there, bolted down of course.
I thinbk i will cut a hole for now"

"Don't give up. Think of m

"Don't give up. Think of me, with my 1967 C/C Corsair. When I got it, there was a tree growing in the cockpit."

"found out some interesting ne

"found out some interesting news today, may be old news to some of yall.
I have been trying to figure out how I got a hole in my plastic gas tank, htat is under the floor, it doesnt move, so not a friction thing.
Anyway, i found out that ethenol( which is in alot of gas now days) can cause eat thru the plastic tank! The boat store I go to said that Boating America? found this out, not sure when,, it can start eating away in as little as three weeks, there is some additives you can add to stop it. In my case it is too late. cutting out floor this weekend.
Any of you guys heard of this?"

Back