Logo

225 on Lund Baron fuel smell

ewarkentin

Am experiencing fuel smell on

Am experiencing fuel smell on 2005 Lund Baron with Honda 225hp. Pressure tests are as they should be. Baffling! Any Suggestion?

"Almost always after I start t

"Almost always after I start the motor and then take off I get a pronounced smell of fuel in the cockpit of boat, up at the driver and front passenger area, and it never really goes away. Gas tank is usually half to 3/4 full. Had dealer check this according to manufacturers procedure for both Lund and Honda, including a pressure test - no resolution yet."

"I assume you have a permanent

"I assume you have a permanent, below-deck gas tank. And it sounds like there is a leak in or around that tank somewhere. Do you get the smell when sitting still at idle before you take off? If not, then it's in your tank or breather tube. First & foremost I would check the gas tank breather tube to absolutely make sure it is clear and properly connected at both ends. If it is obstructed, then the tank will build up pressure and force fumes out the filler hose or any loose fitting. Next, check around where the fuel gauge sender bolts into the tank - could be loose or have a broken seal. If both of those check out, then find where the fuel line pick up comes out of the tank and check all around that fitting and hose fuel line connection.

If you do get the smell at idle, then it is likely a leak somewhere between your fuel line pick up to your fuel pump - check to make sure both in-line filters are properly installed and sealed, and the the gas line fittings are tight."

"Thanks for your suggestions.

"Thanks for your suggestions. When I called the mechanic at the dealership, he said they've tried all of what you suggested, but we're still getting the fuel smell. It's really got us stumped! Also, they checked for any fuel leaks at the engine - but nothing there either. I'm still hoping someone may have had a similar problem and offer some suggestions we haven't tried. Cheers."

"Is the tank under a removeabl

"Is the tank under a removeable hatch or totally sealed in? Eliminating the engine should be easy enough. Run or siphon the boat tank dry and switch to a day tank. If the smell goes away while on the day tank, your looking for a leak somewhere in the boat."

"well could be vent, any gas t

"well could be vent, any gas tank fitting, or even senders

do you have a fuel flow gauge??"

Back