Logo

Want a challenge

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
Try adjusting the idle on an o

Try adjusting the idle on an old Merc triple with its three cylinders and two carbs.

Adjust the top carb so cylinder # 1 is perfect and cylinder #2 can be off. Adjust the lower carb so cylinder # 3 is perfect and cylinder # 2 may still be off. Repeat again and again until it finally (if ever)is idling correctly.

No wonder the dealer's mechanics hid in the crapper when a customer came in with a triple!

Jeff

"Elaborate, please There'

"Elaborate, please There's a tiny tube running from the top to the bottom cylinder.

Jeff"

Behind the intake transfer por

Behind the intake transfer port cover. (Not the exhaust.) There should be two holes drilled in the block on #1 and #2 and a downward angle that lead to cylinder below it. The extra puddled gas from #1 drops down into #2 and than #3. There are plastic orfices in the holes to throttle that fuel flow evenly. They fall out all the time and swallowed by the motor.

The challange is getting them put back in. I always waste a couple doing it.

""Ah so," said Wang Lo

""Ah so," said Wang Loo. I'll bet mine are at the bottom of a river somewhere. Just finished stuffing the thing back together, too. Oh well.

Thanks,

Jeff"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
lol.gif
Good luck. And IF you get them in let me know,pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeee"

"I did get that oink to idle r

"I did get that oink to idle right by using my infared temp gun on the plugs. Plugs number 1 and 2 were running 115 'F, where the bottom turd was only 90 'F. I leaned out the bottom carb and richened the top carb until all three are now at 115 ' F!

Whoopee! Another new trick taught me by the infamous Merc triples!

Jeff"

Back